RE: [amibroker] RE: VBScript to automate back test and export of tradelist.

Brian,
A good example of how marketing taking precedence over user needs results in
poor support is Tradestation.  I have used Tradestation since Version 1.  In
the beginning there was an excellent programmer developing the software.
Tradestation took the leap of faith in windows and developed the first
usable (IMHO) graphics interface for traders.  It was way ahead of Metastock
and other packages out there.  This attracted traders who wanted a better
interface to trade with.

Just like Amibroker, Tradestation users made many suggestions which made the
software better for traders.  This led to serious traders passing the word
to other serious traders and pretty soon, there were a core set of users
using Tradestation.  A short while later, Tradestation became the software
to have.  Up until Tradestation Version 4, the programmer was able to
improve the software.  But the software changes suggested by the traders
were subordinated to those asked for by the newbees.  The programmer, Sam
Tennis, left for personal reasons.

The next release of Tradestation, TS2000i was slower and more bug ridden,
but was marketed heavily.  This attracted more new traders who wanted what
everyone else wanted - more indicators, glitzy features, etc.  The marketing
department headed by Bill Cruz, gave it to them.  Meanwhile, what the
traders wanted never seemed to get implemented.

Omega did get tired of the constant complaining about TS2000i (on the Omega
list) and shortly after releasing a new version for several thousand
dollars, stopped selling the software and converted the business to a
brokerage.  Now you can go on to their bulletin board system and read the
questions of the users, but a curious thing happens to complaints.  They
disappear from the board.

I see in Thomas, a businessman who wants to do the right thing for the
traders who use his product, and who puts his heart and soul into making
that happen.  I hope that he does not go down the same path that
Tradestation did.

Just my personal opinion based on several years of seeing a good trading
product degenerate.
Ed