Re: [amibroker] Re: Forex data import through metatrader

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>InLine...

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: john gibb
  [mailto:jgibb1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 6:59
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: [amibroker]
  adding custom info to tickerImportance: High
  Hi Herman,

  I appreciate your help and have
  some questions.

  1) the OI approach: If I decide to
  use, say, the OI field, as my storage location, must I duplicate the
  options-or-not info in the OI field for ALL quotes for each
  symbol? (What confuses me is that I am trying to store by-ticker info,
  not by-individual-quote or bar info. )<SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004><FONT
  color=#0000ff>
  <SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>
  <FONT
  color=#0000ff>You can store the same value in all locations, the OI
  field is there anyway so I don't think it makes much difference. To store
  one value use:
  <SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>
  <FONT
  color=#0000ff>YourSingleNumber = 999;
  <FONT
  color=#0000ff>AddToComposite(YourSingleNumber,"~"+Name(),"OI");
  <SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>
  <SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>To read it back you could
  use:
  <SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>
  <SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>Temp = foreign("~"+Name(),"OI");<FONT
  face=Arial><SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>
  <SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>MySingleNumber
  = Temp[0];
  <FONT face=Arial
size=2>
  2)  the ATC approach: I can see
  how ATC would work, but would I not need about 2000 composites, one for each
  optionable symbol? (This seems excessive and perhaps performance
  hindering.)<FONT
  color=#0000ff>
  <SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>
  <FONT
  color=#0000ff>Yes, Composites for 2000 stocks seems a little overkill. There
  are two DLL in files that will write a data-table to a file on disk, there is
  the OSAKA and the xx DLL. OSAKA is supported but I gave up on it in view of
  the many crashes I experienced, probably because of the strange things I was
  doing :-) you may have better luck.
  <SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>
  <FONT
  color=#0000ff>You can also store your values in strings, this is by far the
  simplest and most reliable (for me) (do a search in help for fputs() and
  fgets()) if you only want one value per stock, you could store it in a
  format like: "AAPL, Value1, ABDE, value2, .... ". Another technique i am using
  is to create special directories for custom data files. For example
  AmiBroker\StockData\ in which i would save many (!) small files named after
  the stock it relates to, for example files named AAPL.txt and ABDE.txt. These
  little file each contain one single string holding comma separated data. Here
  are two simple functions (you can add some error checks, see Help) you can
  use:
  <SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>
  <SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>function SS( FileName,
  String) { fh = fopen(FileName, "w"); if( fh
  )  {  fputs(String, fh );  fclose(
  fh );  } return
  fh; }

  <SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>function RS( Filename
  ) { fh = fopen(FileName, "r"); Str = fgets( fh
  ); return Str; }
  <SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>
  <SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>SS stands for saveString and RS stands for
  ReadString. The Filename would be specified for each stock as explained above.
  To have it end up in your designated directory you should specify the complete
  path ( "C:\\.....\\StockData\\AAPL.txt" ) Note the double slashes! The string
  would hold your parameter to save. You create this with
  NumToStr(YourParameter,1.4); You can have unlimited small files in such
  directories and unless you have to read them for each bar it won't slow you
  down too much.
  <SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>
  <SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>After reading the file you extract your parameter
  with StrExtract( String, n) where n is your zero based index to the comma
  separated substring that holds your parameter. What is nice with this method
  is that you can also save strings (Ticker names).
  <SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>
  <SPAN
  class=953082000-01042004>best regards,