[amibroker] Re: code for standard deviation with variable periods

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>b,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
understand, and fully agree with, your methodology.   My only
reservation is that I'm always afraid that I will make a subtle change in my
backtesting AFL and forget to make it in my exploration AFL.   We get
to the same end result, but at my age I try to keep from getting
confused!!
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>

<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: b
  [mailto:b519b@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 5:14
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker]
  CSI/UA data to AB (2 methods)Chuck,Like you,
  I am very pleased with the speed of direct exportof data from CSI/UA to
  AB. Just for the record, I use filters and watchlists to outthe
  foreign and preferred stocks in my backtesting databasefor the reason you
  state - they take up positionscorespots. However I do not use AB's
  built in positionscore togenerate my stock picks for actual trading. I
  have notbothered to code the filtering into AFL for my tradingsince I
  can let my eye do that filtering. You and I seem to use AB in
  different ways to generatepicks for live trading. If I read between the
  lines of yourpost, you run a strategy code in AB's AA mode and get
  thebuy/sell/short/cover actions from the trade list (assumingone has
  turned on the option that lists tomorrow's trades).My current method
  is to take volume filters and rankinglogic from the AA code used to
  backtest and put that codeinto a much shorter AFL designed to run as an
  Exploration. Using an Exploration, lets me display columns for
  averagevolume and, of course, the ranking numbers that would havebeen
  fed to PositionScore in backtesting. To get theranking list, I click on
  the heading for the PositionScorecolumn and when placing orders I skip
  over any foregin orpreferred stocks. I sometimes skip over a stock that
  justbarely passed the minimum volume filter (or take a halfposition).
  That is one reason I prefer the Explorationmethod. There are
  others.It would be easy to build in a couple of filters to
  keepforeign and preferred stocks out of the exploration reportlist - I
  just have not bothered to do it.Of course, for back testing, you can
  be very sure that Iinclude filters to exclude the preferreds and
  foreignstocks. Actually, for speed reasons, I use these filters
  tocreate watchlists of stocks to exclude when testing. You may
  recall that I keep separate databases of CSI datafor research testing and
  for trading. There are severalreasons why I prefer keeping the 2 separate.
  Thus thewatchlists that exclude foreign stocks are only in myresearch
  database. b--- Chuck Rademacher
  <chuck_rademacher@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> b,> > Thanks
  for taking the time to document how this all> works.   I'm
  glad that> someone has the patience!> > One note
  though....> > I see a problem with the technique you are
  using.   You> are letting the> foreign and preferred
  stocks into your trading logic. > It's all well and> good to
  ignore them, but they are using up position> numbers.   Let's
  say you> want to trade ten stocks, but two of them are Canadian>
  stocks.   You will> only be trading eight stocks.
  It's a minor point, but I> prefer to filter> them out BEFORE
  they get into my trading logic rather> than ignore them from> my
  "orders list".   It's certainly easy enough to do.> >
  Just my thoughts on the subject.   I'm sure enjoying the> new
  CSI export to> AB.  It saves me about three hours a day!>