class=000120015-10032004>InLine...

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: quanttrader714
  [mailto:quanttrader714@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004
  9:17 AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker]
  Re: Comments on Van Tharp courses please
  Generalized and popularized opinions, LOL?  This is not a touchy
  feelydiscussion about social issues, this stuff is pretty cut and
  dried. <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>You said it: "dried" ;-) <SPAN
  class=000120015-10032004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
   The only thing your post
  and example goes to show is that you don'tunderstand what he wrote.
  You're misleading new traders on this bigtime.What was your
  methodology?  You say you traded the system on 100stocks, had about
  50% winning trades and 8000 total trades.  What doyou mean when you
  say you had no more than 6 losers in a row?  No morethan 6 in a row
  on any single stock? Or did you line up all 8000trades by date?  And
  if so, did you count *simultaneous losing trades*as being in a row?
  And what about sequential groups of simultaneouslosing trades?  If
  not, why not?  <FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff size=2>

  <FONT
  color=#0000ff>I explained that this system was designed for a
  handfull of single stocks therefore i only considered losing streaks for
  individual stocks, it wouldn't make sense to group together unrelated stocks
  that would not be traded simultaneously anyway. I ran it on the N100 just to
  illustrate a point. Our discussion did not address the issue of portfolio
  trading.

  Simultaneous losing trades wouldhave a more devastating effect on
  your account than sequential losingtrades unless you're increasing your
  trade size as your account goesdown.  Trading the ND100 stocks over
  the same period is like trading aflock of birds<SPAN
  class=000120015-10032004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2> where the majority are moving in roughly the
  samedirection at any given time.  Finally, just because you "could
  easilyhave 10 losses in a row" (p. 138) doesn't mean you *always* will,
  LOL.<FONT color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT color=#0000ff
  size=2>But in ten times the amount of trades you would at least
  expect ONE of them, but I didn't even get more
  than 6 sequential losing trades, let alone one of ten.
  I think the only way to convince you qt, is for you to analyze
  some of your own trading systems, have you done so? If you did, perhaps you
  can show us a chart. Or are you just taking published
  material as gospel? I wonder how many on this list have actually
  thoroughly analyzed their systems? AmiBroker is a wonderful but under-utilized
  research tool; it should be be used in universities to make economic classes
  more interesting.
  <SPAN
  class=000120015-10032004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
   One *valid*
  counterexample (not sure yours is) or even many showsnothing.  On the
  contrary, they're to be expected.  <SPAN
  class=000120015-10032004><FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>

  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>We have our own ways and everybody should trade in
  whatever way he/she is comfortable with. I have been disillusioned (and lost
  money) because I believed and followed traditional trading methods. Things
  have gone better since i went my own way a few years ago. Again,
  whatever literature you read, I encourage people to analyze, verify and
  research their own systems. That is the only point i was trying to
  make.
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>imho, if you want to make money trading you have to think "outside the
  box", I equate "cut and dried" stuff with obsolete stuff. The
  bookstores are full of it. Cut and dried stuff is nice to teach you the
  concepts but not to help you design a trading system. I never got a single
  trading system from a book to work satisfactory, ... I tried hundreds. Show me
  one single system that works well today from The Encyclopedia of technical
  indicators (Colby).<FONT
  face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>
  <FONT
  face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT
  face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><FONT
  face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Thanks qt, I value and respect your
  opinion but enough on VT, I want to get back to other
  stuff.
  <FONT
  face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2><SPAN
  class=000120015-10032004><SPAN
  class=000120015-10032004><FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff size=2><FONT face=Arial
  color=#0000ff
  size=2>
  <FONT
  face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>best
  regards,
  <FONT
  face=Arial color=#0000ff
  size=2>Herman.
  <FONT
  face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>--- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Herman van den Bergen"<psytek@xxxx>
  wrote:> Hello qt,> > On page 138 VT writes: "... In fact,
  over 1000 trials you couldeasily have> 10 losers in a
  row...."> > Here is an old test result of a mediocre trading
  system that wasdesigned> for a handful of stocks, in order to get
  sufficient trials I ran thesystem> on all stocks of the N100: a bad
  combination that gave only about50%> winning trades. Even so, in
  the 8000 trades thus simulated there wasnot one> losing streak with
  more then 6 losers in a row. This goes to showthat> generalized and
  popularized opinions may not apply to your systemand for> this
  reason I encourage people to do their own homework.> > best
  regards,> herman> >
  >       Losing Streak 6 5 4 3 2
  1>       Probability of occurrence 0.10%
  0.31% 0.78% 2.49% 8.49% 37.18%> > > > >
  [mailto:quanttrader714@xxxx]>   Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2004
  5:47 PM>   To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: Comments on Van Tharp courses please> >
  >   Whoa!!! I feel an obligation to correct the record
  because youand Pal>   keep going on and on and clearly
  neither of you understands this>   stuff.  More comments
  below.> >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Herman
  van den Bergen">   <psytek@xxxx>
  wrote:>   > Some time ago we had lengthy discussions on
  Von Tharp'stheories.>   If i>   >
  recall correctly he treats the market like a Random phenomena>
  >   You recall incorrectly. On page 42 he specifically states
  "themarkets>   are not random.">
  >   > and bases all>   > his
  statistical analysis on that. This is
  completelycontradictory>   to those>
  > of us who design mechanical trading systems that give
  60-75%winning>   trades,> >
  There is *absolutely nothing at all* contradictory with
  "VonTharp's>   theories" <sic> and "mechanical
  trading systems that give 60-75%>   winning trades.">
  >   > have well distributed and defined losing and winning
  streaks,and>   have>   > profit as
  well as stop control measures in place.>
  >>   > At the time of the thread i bought and read his
  book "Trade your>   way to>   > finacial
  freedom". It was fun reading however I proved a
  numberof>   his>   > assumptions
  wrong 'for my trading systems'; my systems are>   definitely
  not>   > random.> >   Where are
  you getting random systems from?  Van Tharp
  specifically>   says that a system must have a positive
  expectancy to make money.In>   other words, an
  edge.  Nothing random about that.  Does this
  meanthe>   concept of randomness has no valid role to
  play?  Absolutely not.> > >   >Testing
  several systems over 280,000 bars, with average trade>   >
  durations from 2-10 bars his predictions for winning and
  losing>   streaks for>   > example was
  way off.> >   Huh?> >   >If
  you are interested you may search the archives, i>   >
  posted some of my code used to analyze systems, as well
  asresults>   complete>   > with
  charts on this list.>   >>   > Far too
  little time is spend on system analysis, way too
  muchtime>   goes into>   > driving
  profits up by optimization. All systems are different;>
  analyze your>   > own systems, do not believe that anybody
  else can tell you havethey>   behave>
  > under various market conditions.> >   Again,
  you've totally missed the point.  I urge any new
  traders>   reading this thread to read Van Tharp's book
  because the concepts>   absolutely work if understood and
  applied properly.> >   >>   >
  bets regards,>   > herman.>
  played>   with>   >   it.
  The first 2 levels are a piece of cake.  The 3rd level
  is>   >   difficult, but in only 3 trials out of
  75 I finished it.  Ithink>   I>
  >   have unlocked the secret code for the right combination of
  the>   Risk>   >   ($ per
  Share) and Investment level (# Shares to buy.)  Thisis
  no>   >   mean feat.  There is only one
  combination which is optimum. Find>   >
  this combination and I would acknowledge that you are aMaster
  and>   >   you dont need to spend on anything
  else.  Here are the>   instructions>
  href="">http://www.iitm.com./_vti_bin/shtml.dll/regform.htm>
  >>   >   Position Sizing™: The
  Secrets>   >   of the Masters Trading
  Game>   >   Instructions for Level
  Three>   >>   >   This level
  is similar to level one.  You are given a trading>
  system>   >   that goes long in the
  market.  Your only choice is to decidehow>
  >   much to risk for each trade.  That's it!  You
  simply decidehow>   much>
  >   to risk.  Overall, level two is an even better system
  thanlevel>   one>   >
  gave you.  Over many trials, your expectancy will be 0.91
  as>   >   compared with 0.45 for the first
  level.>   >>   >   Now that
  you've reached this level, we recommend that youbegin
  by>   >   saving the game.  If you should
  go bankrupt, you will have to>   start>
  >   again at the beginning of the game if you don't have a
  savedgame>   at>   >   this
  level.  However, we hope you can get through the
  gamewithout>   >   going
  bankrupt.>   >>   >   Once
  again, you will have the opportunity to make 75 trades.
  Your>   >   minimum goal is to make a profit
  of 50% by the end of the 75>   trades>
  >   so that you can advance to level four.  However, you
  will>   >   automatically advance to level three
  should you increase your>   equity>
  >   by 500% from the starting value.>
  >>   >   If you have not made a profit at the
  end of 75 trades, youwill>   need>
  >   to start this level over again.  However, if you have
  made a>   profit>   >   that's
  less than 50%, you will then have another 25 trades to>
  reach>   >   your goal of 50% to advance to the
  next level.>   >>   >   If
  you have a loss at the end of 75 trades, you will have
  tostart>   >   the level over again with a
  10% penalty (subtracted from your>
  prior>   >   starting
  equity).>   >>   >   The
  probabilities and payoffs for this level are given in the>
  >   statistics section of the game (in the View menu.)
  We'dsuggest>   >   that you study them
  carefully and develop a strategy beforeyou>
  >   begin the game.>   >>
  >   Level Three>   >>
  >>   >   Questions &
  Answers>   >>   >
  Question:>   >   Why am I not allowed to go
  short?  I would be right 70% of the>   >
  time.  Isn't that what it's all about?>
  >>   >   Response:>
  >   Hopefully you'll step out of the box of needing to be right
  by>   >   playing this game.  You should be
  learning the importance of>   large R->
  >   multiples over being right.  Wait until you get a 30R or
  20Rtrade>   >   in your favor and see what
  that does for your account.  Orwould>
  you>   >   rather have that against you?
  If being right is thatimportant to>   >
  you, you'll have your chance to go against the expectancy
  inlevel>   >   five.>
  >>   >   Question:>
  >   What's a good strategy to play this game?>
  >>   >   Response:>
  >   Figuring out a good strategy and learning from your
  mistakesis>   one>   >   of
  the skill requirements of this game.  What is
  yourworst-case>   >   loss?  It's four
  percent, so you'll risk bankruptcy by risking>
  over>   >   25% on any trade.  Also think
  about how many losses you couldhave>   >
  in a row.  You're only right 30% of the time.  It's
  verylikely>   that>   >
  you might have 9 losses in a row in your 75 trades.  You
  might>   even>   >   have a
  streak of losses as big as 20 or more.  You need toplay
  to>   >   survive that you that you can make
  money on the 30R tradesthat>   >   might
  come up.  With those two guidelines, design your own>
  strategy.>   >>   >   IITM
  also sells products designed to help you with strategy>
  >   development.  These include 1) the money management
  report;2) a>   >   newsletter issue devoted
  to optimal bet size; and 3) optimalbet>
  >   size software that will be available for purchase in
  mid-2002.>   >>   >
  Question:>   >   Once again, I don't have much
  information on any of these>   >   investments
  or trades.  How am I to know which one's will
  goup?>   >>   >
  Response:>   >   You don't know what will go up,
  that's true.  But you do knowthe>   >
  payoffs and probabilities of the system you will be
  trading.>   That's>   >   all
  you need to know to figure out to work out bet sizing>
  >   strategies.  Those strategies are the key to success and
  thisgame>   >   is designed to get you away
  from predicting the market andinto>   >
  thinking about those strategies.>   >>
  <cgmv@xxxx>>   wrote:>
  >   > I purchased the "Developing a winning trading system
  thatfits>   >   you">
  >   > audio tape course back in December 03 (got it on sale
  for$699).>   >   > Just as I've found
  with other books and courses its not a>   >
  blueprint>   >   > for making a fortune, but
  I did come away learning ahandful of>   >
  > helpful things.>   >
  >>   >   > I found it a little pricey
  since it is an audio tapedseminar.>   >
  The>   >   > advertising for it says it's
  profesionally edited.  I foundthe>
  >   > recording to be of less quality than I expected.
  Severaltimes>   >   > through the 12
  tapes people in the seminar ask questions ormake>
  >   > comments that you cannot hear well, sometimes even
  the>   instructors>   >   >
  cannot be heard for short periods until the microphone
  picks>   them>   >   >
  up.  Not a major problem but for ~ $ 700+, I expect a
  little>   >   better>
  >   > job than this.>   >
  >>   >   > The content is organized well
  and pretty informative,altough I>   >
  think>   >   > for much less money you could
  buy some books and get prettymuch>   >
  the>   >   > same info.  I think if you
  studied Van's book "Trade yourway to>   >
  > Financial Freedom" and Charles LeBeau's book
  "ComputerAnalysis>   of>
  >   > the Futures Market" (Charles was a major part of the
  audiotaped>   >   > course, I found his
  input very helpful) you'd get amajority of>
  >   the>   >   > technical
  content.>   >   >>
  >   > Good Luck>   >
  >>   >   > GV>
  >   >>   >
  >>   >   >>
  >   >>   >   > --- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Al
  Venosa"<advenosa@xxxx>>   >
  wrote:>   >   > > All of his stuff is
  pricey. I never took his peakperformance>
  >   > course, but I know someone who did. He learned a lot
  about>   himself>   >   >
  when he went through it, but I don't think he is using
  muchof>   it>   >   >
  today. Just like anything else. I don't think you are
  usingmuch>   >   of>
  >   > the stuff you learned in college today, either, but it
  wasgood>   >   > training. You pays your
  money and you takes your chances, so>
  goes>   >   the>
  >   > cliche. Why don't you call Van and ask him about his
  course>   >   >
  offerings?>   >   > >>
  >   > > Al V.>   >   >
  Van Tharp courses>   please>
  >   > >>   >   >
  >>   >   > >   Al and
  Phil,>   >   > >>
  >   > >   Thanks for your comments on Van Tharps'
  courses. I was>   >
  wondering>   >   > if you know anything about
  his Peak Performance Course for>   >
  Investors>   >   > and Traders. It looks
  interesting, although a littlepricey. I>
  >   know>   >   > of people
  paying much more for a personal adviser that works>
  with>   >   > them on some of the areas that
  Tharp deals with, such asmaking>   a>
  >   > business plan. Seems like Tharp goes into areas that
  will>   >   > psychologically prepare you for
  trading. I guess I'll haveto>   read>
  >   > through the description of the course more thoroughly
  andthen>   >   decide>
  >   > if I it would be worthwhile for me.>
  >   Thanks again for your comments,>
  >   Greg>   >   >