Re: [amibroker] Proxy For ^DJI

I agree that RAM is not expensive now. But once your
motherboard is at the maximum (as mine is at 1.5GB), one
turns to making most efficient use of the two caches that
can be used instead of waiting for the hard disk.

If you have enough RAM to hold all your data in AB's
internal cache, that is the fastest way to go.

If you have about 300MB more RAM than the data takes on the
hard disk, reduce AB's number of stocks to cache to a
minimum (perhaps 100, or even just 10 stocks). That way the
data on the hard disk will fit into Window's own cache.

Apparently Window's cache is a bit more compact than AB. I
assume AB's cache is maximized for speed rather than space.

Having data in the Window's cache means AB will have to
re-import it for each optimization pass, but that is a lot
faster than having to import it from the hard disk.

I do not have precise numbers, but I would guess using
Window's cache is about 5% to 10% slower than AB's internal
cache.

Also one can sometimes use a watchlist to reduce the number
of stocks that AB needs to review for each optimization
run.

http://taxes.yahoo.com/filing.html