[amibroker] Successive Approximation in afl

Hello all,

I'll bet this has been addressed somewhere, before, but searching
through the YAHOO archive hasn't helped yet, and I don't grasp what
the documentation is saying (I'll keep looking, though). I'm using a
registered 4.5 EOD version of AB.

I think I have two problems:

1) I'd like to avoid using the "Import Wizard", because it wants to
automatically assign everything to groups and markets, and I'm trying
to import ASCII for only futures contracts (I rather doubt that
soybean futures fit into any of the existing groups). But I haven't
figured out how to access the files without using the Wizard, even
though the documentation says I can.

2) I also have some cash indices and intraday futures contracts that
I want to import, but if I set the default.format file for my daily
futures contracts, it won't apply to the data fields in the cash or
intraday files. The documentation says I have to have either the
default.format file to set up the ASCII fields, OR some command lines
embedded in EACH separate data file in order to be able to chart
them. Am I understanding that correctly??? If I have to insert the
command lines in each file, I have a feeling that they'll be erased
when I update, because my files appear to be completely overwritten
on updates.

Basically, all I want is charts, not groups or sectors or markets or
alphabetical folders or duplicate data files. I simply want to access
the data files from where they exist already and avoid all the
categorizing. Is this a possibility for someone who follows only 30
or so futures markets that can easily fit in one database? Am I
making this more difficult than it has to be?

Thanks for whatever assistance you may be inclined to offer,

DC