Re: [amibroker] Potential problem with Portfolio Backtester?

Al,

It appears from the little test I posted that this is exactly correct
and in addition if position size shrinking is turned on it will
invest that left over $700 in something else as well.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Al Venosa" <advenosa@xxxx> wrote:
> I'd like to know the answer to your question, too. Here is how I
would guess
> AB does it. It determines your TOTAL CURRENT equity at any given
time. You
> said that one of your stocks exited with a $3K profit after a few
days, but
> you didn't say what the other 9 stocks did. Suppose they grew to a
$20 K
> profit collectively. Thus, your total current equity is now $123 K
(the $3K
> profit from your exited position plus the $20 K open profit from
the other 9
> stocks plus the original $100 K invested). So, according to your
> positionsize statement, the new investment would be 10% of $123 K
or $12.3
> K. So, you would buy $12.3 K of your new stock rather than $13 K,
leaving
> you with $700 uninvested cash. Does this make sense? I don't know
if it is
> correct, however.
>
> Al Venosa

I just
> wondered what other users think of what I see happening in my
research.  In
> fact, after typing everything that follows, I've come to the
conclusion that
> the problem is in my own AFL.  However, I believe that my coding is
exactly
> or at least similar to what everyone else is doing.
> >
> > I'll attempt to describe the situation:
> >
> > 1.  I'm using the "normal" portfolio backtesting mode with market
timing.
> My systems will typically lay on some number of positions when
the "market"
> turns up and quit all of those positions when the market turns
down.  The
> systems do have 50% loss stops (that are seldom hit) and profit
stops that
> are frequently hit.
> >
> > 2.  Assume we are flat today.
> >
> > 3.  We download our data, run our backtest and place our orders
for
> tomorrow's open.
> >
> > 4.  Assume that we have $100,000 in our account and we have used
> PositionScore to rank our 50 or so buy signals and that we are
going to have
> a maximum of ten positions.
> >
> > 5.  We will have ten buy orders, each for about $10,000.
> >
> > 6.  Let's say that after a few days, one of our positions hits
our profit
> objective and we exit with a $3,000 profit.
> >
> > 7.  This leaves us with $13,000 to invest tomorrow.
> >
> > 8.  Assuming that the market is still in an up-trend, AB (our
AFL) is
> going to find a new stock for us to buy.  I believe that it is
going to
> divide our available funds ($13,000) by ten and that it will invest
only
> $1,300 in the stock that is replacing the stock we quit at our
profit stop.
> Why wouldn't it?  After all, it's my own AFL that says something
like:

> >      PositionSize = -100/posqty;
> > or
> >      PositionSize = -10;
> >
> > The questions I have are:
> >
> > 1.  Do you agree that this is what is happening?
> >
> > 2.  Does this explain why we are not able to achieve the exposure
> percentages that we expect?
> >
> > 3.  Would you like the buy order be for $1,300, $10,000 or
$13,000?

> > 4.  Have you solved this problem yourself with some fancy AFL?
I'm

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511