RE: [amibroker] Off_Topic: Clearing my name on Tabbed Browsers

After I posted a recommendation to NetCaptor here, I saw various
messages saying this was spyware.  Sure enough, Google delivered various
hits (near the top) claiming NetCaptor was spyware.

Walter Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal, is highly respected and
credible.  I wrote to him about his NetCaptor reco and the spyware
assertion.

Here is his reply (below).   A big lesson is: do not necessarily believe
the top hits from a Google search; more due diligence is needed,
somehow. Especially the dates on the hit pages.

Ken

PS:  Even after purchasing NetCaptor, I tried MyIE2 (free), recommended
here by Graham, and I like it so much better that I am settled into
MyIE2 as my day to day browser.  Right now I have too many browser
shells on my hard drive and will need to delete some of them.

-------- Message from Walt Mossberg----------------
Ken,

It's not spyware. I am comfortable in saying that. Before I recommended
it, I thoroughly checked their privacy policy, and their policy on
serving ads in the free version. Both passed muster with me.
Nevertheless, after getting your email, I went back to the author, Adam
Stiles, to see what he had to say. Here is his reply:

"Its absolutely not true. I tried the Google search for NetCaptor and
Spyware and came up with ancient references. Long ago we used the
Aureate/Radiate ad system, as did many software authors, and after that
Web3000, but we stopped them both long ago. We ALWAYS disclosed what we
were installing during the installation process, always giving users
options, always being completely upfront about anything we installed. We
stopped distributing the last Web3000 system in late 2000, and Aureate
long before that. Even if you think those are spyware applications, we
haven't distributed them for about 3 years. I don't think we were
distributing spyware, because we always fully disclosed what we were
doing. If I had it to do over again we might have done something
different, but when we started, the term spyware hadn't even been
coined."

Walt Mossberg

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511