[amibroker] Re: dividend (more on the subject)

Excuse me, but how often does this happen?  Go to the Yahoo Stock
Screener, for example, and you'll find that 96% of the 7000+ stocks in
its universe have dividend yields of 5% or less and 99.9% have
dividend yields of 15% or less.  In practice, whether you buy the
stock cum-dividend or ex-dividend is irrelevant (except maybe for
taxes), so this is a backtest issue affecting very few stocks and
anyone doing due diligence will easily pick it up.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher"
<chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:

> I hate to be a bit pedantic, but even a short term trader is
affected by
> these distortions.   Imagine the effect of a 50% in the price of any
stock
> on today's chart.  If you owned the stock, you would have 50% cash
(or stock
> in another company) and your original shares worth 50% of what they
were
> worth yesterday.   However, what did the 50% drop in price do to
your short
> term indicators?  It would look like one SERIOUS breakout to the
downside.
> Yes, you may go and look at the chart.   But that's not what
happens in
> backtesting a mechanical system, is it?
>
> Assuming that you backtest over a few years, even a very short term
trading
> system will encounter many of these distortions.
>
> Can you see the problem?

conservative when
>   > examining back test results.
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   > Howard
>   >
>   >

>   Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstakes
>   http://hotjobs.sweepstakes.yahoo.com/signingbonus
>

>   Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
>   Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx
>

>         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor