RE: [amibroker] Plot with minvalue and maxvalue

Harvey,

Good thoughts about RS and subjectivity. Yours is one of the many
posts with good ideas that go into my tickler file.

Isn't it nice to have a pkg like Amibroker that allows us to play with
all of our ideas so easily and quickly.

Regards,

Phsst

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, harveyhp <harveyhp@xxxx> wrote:
> Phsst,
>
> A few disjointed thoughts.
>
> 1.  Isn't the choice of RS method subjective?  One person has a
short-term holding period, another a longer term.  One person places a
high value on the most recent activity, another considers all of the
activity over the whole year.
> 2.  Taking four successive quarters ROC and doubling up on the last
quarter should be the same (after averaging) as taking a one-year
period plus 20% of the last quarter, should it not?
> 3.  Overlapping 3-, 6-, 9-, and 12-month periods back from the
current bar weights the most recent quarter so heavily that the
earliest quarter will have little effect.
> 4.  ROC considers only the values of the first and last bar of the
period and ignores what happens in between.  Wouldn't linear
regression be more appropriate, since it considers all data points
within the period?

> From Mark Boucher's 1999 book "The Hedge Fund Edge", p.149: "Short
term traders could improve results going to as low as an eight-week RS
. . . while longer term investors could widen the RS to as far as one
year, still with substantial improvements in returns and risk.  We
settled on one of the lower risk paramters which turned out to be a
weighted average RS (similar to O'Neil's but slightly shorter in
average duration).  The exact formula is (2 x ( 1-wk RS + 5-wk RS +
8-wk RS + 13-wk RS) + (26-wk RS + 40-wk RS + 52-wk RS)) / 11, which
gives an average of about 16 weeks, but is heavily front-end weighted."

> HHP
> ================

Chuck about
>   >   >   the Columbine methods and documents available will make an
>   >   >   interesting reading for you in this momentum equation
area. You
>   >   >   probably get a lot more from Columbine for 100K per year
than a
>   >   list
>   >   >   of 1500 stocks ranked by momentum but this was good background
>   >   for
>   >   >   me.
>   >   >   Best regards
>   >   >   Joe Landry
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   >   --IBD RS Screens.afl
>   >   >   ///  SCANS FROM TC 2000 forumlas
>   >   >   // IBD Positive Gainers
>   >   >   Filter = (Volume/(MA(V,50)+1)-1)*100>39 AND C-Ref(C,-1)>.5
AND MA
>   >   >   (V,50)> 70000 AND C>5;
>   >   >   VolFac =  (Volume/(MA(V,50)+1)-1)*100;
>   >   >
>   >   >   // Quotes Plus Relative Strength (IBD like)
>   >   >   RSQP = (.04*Close/(.001+Ref(C,-62))+
.02*Ref(C,-63)/(.001+Ref(C,-
amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511