[amibroker] Re: Off Topic - FAT32 or NTFS and winXP/ME

Hi Graham,
I'm no computer wiz, but I just installed XP on my old PIII 600 MHZ
machine and have it networked with one of my newer machines.

If you can, format the hard drive again. The next steps I took was to
set the bios up to boot off of the CDrom, disable the floppy. Then
when it starts up with the CD you should get a choice of what drive
you want to install on. Select the C drive and then it should ask
what type of format that you want NTFS or Fat32. You can select the
NTFS and it will format it for you. It should walk you through the
rest of the steps.

I don't see any problems with networking the different types of
drives together. I have had XP networked to a couple of older
computers that are running Win 98 and Fat32 drives.

If this don't work you can email me at brens4@xxxxxxxxx

I have a few more ideas but don't want to use up the boards space.

Rod

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Graham" <gkavanagh@xxxx> wrote:
> Hoping for some computer wiz to help me here. Hope I can explain it
> properly.
>
> I run 2 computers one with winXP and the other winME
>
> I recently upgraded the drive in the ME computer with 80GB and had
> partition to 2x40GB for the bios to recognise it due to the old age
of the
> motherboard (I think) after all it is only 2-3 yrs old (900MHz chip
thingy).
> I also added ram to 512MB.
>
> I wanted to change the operating system to XP but could not install
XP onto
> it for some reason. It would not copy some files onto the hard
drive and
> crashed or froze during the install process.  ME installed ok,
unfortunately
> it is too unstable for me to continue using it.
>
> Can anyone offer suggestion of what I can do to get XP onto it.
> I was reading about the hard drives and file system NTFS and FAT32.
I was
> wondering if this could be a problem with XP as it states that XP
is ok with
> FAT32 up to 32GB and not limited by NTFS. However winME cannot read
NTFS
> drive volume so am hesitant about changing the fat32 to ntfs and
have to
> reformat the drive to convert backwards.
>
> My main comp with XP has FAT32 volume, and due to the advantages of
NTFS I