Re: [amibroker] Re: ^DJI not recognized??- YUKI

Hi Jim,

j> Yuki did you try this?
j> Jim

I have tried them all, I think.  ^^_^^  My experience boils down to
this:

1) I only use 'historical' rather than 'current', because at least on
the indices, which are of prime interest to me, there is some kind of
volume discrepancy between the two.  So I stick with 'historical'.

2) I'm sure TJ is right that they have some kind of throttle on the
amount of data they are willing to supply.  But that throttle seems
based on some combination of volume and speed.  It also may even be
based on time of day, or day of the week.

3) Basically, on the weekdays, I play hell getting the data.
Particularly ^DJI and ^IXIC seems to always report no data.  Doesn't
matter the speed settings.  But on Sunday afternoon (Tokyo time) I
seem to be able to update the entire database (~2500 stocks which I
still need to pare, being ridiculously too many) at any speed I like
with completeness and no blockage by Yahoo.

At any rate, I do not trade in the US right now, and this is as much
an academic exercise as anything.  So I can live with the minor
frustration.  Were I to actually be trading there, I'd do as many
have suggested and pay for data -- it's not all that much.  But I
won't pay until there is some burning need, and that may or may not
ever come to pass.

You mentioned that this does work for you with ~600 issues.  I have
no doubt, because I can *always* get over 700 issues at top speed, no
matter what time of day or what day of the week.  It is somewhere in
the 800-900 range that I get throttled -- everything after that just
starts timing out.  Oddly, there seems to be no throttle on the
weekend, or at least on Sunday afternoon my time.

Thanks for your follow up on this.

Best,

Yuki

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511