RE: [amibroker] Understanding Portfolio Backtest Reports ..was..Re: PositionScore Ideas

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Phsst,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>1.  I'll take some more time later in the day to answer your
questions regarding some of the metrics in the report.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>2.  A good Sharpe ratio is around 1.0.  I think
that 2.0 is as good as it gets.   You CANNOT have a negaitve
Sharpe ratio with positive returns.  This was the first clue to a
problem.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>3.  You CANNOT have a profitable system that has (around) 50% win
rate with 3% average profits and 11% average losses.   The math simply
doesn't work.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>4.  I can't imagine that the problem is in your AFL, but who
knows?
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>5.  The problem (with your results) that I was having was
that everyone else seemed to be very impressed.   I looked
at your stats (before various positive comments were posted) and didn't see
anything to get excited about.   Then, others started commenting on
how good they looked, so I had another look.   It was then that I
discovered the contradictions in the results.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>6.  I was not being critical of your work, by any means.  I was
just trying to understand how it happened.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Phsst
  [mailto:phsst@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Sunday, December 14, 2003 1:36
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker]
  Chuck - Understanding Portfolio Backtest Reports ..was..Re: PositionScore
  IdeasChuck,As you can see, I've changed the
  Subject because I think we may havean opportunity thru your questions to
  get better insight into reportedfigures on the backtester
  report.If you reply, and I certainly hope that you do, just drop your
  namefrom the Subject.You are right... there are some things very
  wrong with the backtestreports that I posted, and I had not noticed them
  until you pointedthem out.Specifically:CR>
  1.   Both of them show nice annual returns (89-140%).Annual
  returns this high should be treated with suspicion and causethe system
  developer to be extra vigilant in analyzing the reportedfigures.
  Unfortunately I failed to notice the discrepancies that younoted. You can
  bet that I'll be more vigilant in the future, lookingspecifically at those
  figures you zeroed in on.CR> 2.   Yet, the average
  p/l is negative (2-4%).I thought I might have made a mistake
  copying/pasting on this one, butI have verified that the actual backtest
  report contained these figures.CR> 3.   The Sharpe ratio
  is negative.I have to plead ignorance here. I've read as much as is
  available inthe documentation relating to the Sharpe ratio (among others).
  Butwhen I am unable to get a clear idea of exactly how to interpret
  someof these metrics then I tend to just ignore them on the backtest
  report. I would really like to see a dialog on this forum related to
  the realvalue of Sharpe, Ulcer, etc.CR> 4.   The
  average win is 3%.Same response as #2.CR> 5.
  The average loss is 10-11%.Same response as #2.CR> What's
  the story???Good question Chuck.In addition to posting this
  response, I'll send TJ the actual backtestreport(s) to see if there is a
  rational explanation for the reportedfigures which he could post here, or
  if it is a genuine bug.If TJ needs the code, I'll be glad to send it
  to him.If there is a problem with my backtest AFL code, then I'd want
  tounderstand what coding conditions could cause this.Anyway,
  thanks for taking a critical look at the figures.Do you suppose that
  you and others who have good insight into thereported metrics could help
  the rest of us better understand how tointerpret the last eleven (11)
  reported figures on the Backtest
  Report?Regards,Phsst--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
  "Chuck Rademacher"<chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:> Phsst,>
  > There seems to be something radically wrong with your stats
  (below):> > 1.   Both of them show nice annual returns
  (89-140%).> > 2.   Yet, the average p/l is negative
  (2-4%).> > 3.   The Sharpe ratio is negative.>
  > 4.   The average win is 3%.> > 5.
  The average loss is 10-11%.> > What's the
  story???>   -----Original Message----->
  From: Phsst [mailto:phsst@xxxx]>   Sent: Saturday, December
  13, 2003 5:31 PM>   To:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   Subject: [amibroker] Re:
  PositionScore Ideas> > >   Greg,>
  >   This backtest comparison is for illustrative purposes
  only. I make no>   claims regarding these test results other
  than the AFL and Setup>   criteria was identical for both
  tests. The only difference was the>   assignment of
  PositionScore = QRS versus PositionScore = RSW.> >
  NOTE:> >   // RSW = .4*(Total Return
  13-Week)+.3*(Total Return 26-Week)+.3*(Total>   Return
  1-Year)>   tr13 = 0.4 * (C - Ref(C, -65)) / Ref(C, -65) *
  100;>   tr26 = 0.3 * (C - Ref(C, -130)) / Ref(C, -130) *
  100;>   tr52 = 0.3 * (C - Ref(C, -260)) / Ref(C, -260) *
  100;>   RSW = tr13 + tr26 + tr52;>
  PositionScore = RSW;> >   Date Range 6/1/1995 to
  Present (No QRS scores exist prior to this)> >
  Direct comparison:>
  >         RSW
  SCORE            QRS
  SCORE>         Long
  trades            Long
  trades>   Initial capital
  100000
  100000>   Ending capital
  22984180      190338380>   Net
  Profit      22884180
  190238380>   Net Profit %
  22884.18%      190238.38%>
  Exposure %
  94.25%
  94.16%>   Net RAR %
  24280.98%      202035.63%>   Annual
  Return %
  89.07%
  142.19%>   Risk Adj Retn %
  94.50%
  151.01%> >   All trades
  7431 (100.00 %)      7487 (100.00
  %)>   Avg. Profit/Loss      3079.56
  25409.16>   Avg. Profit/Loss %
  -4.16%      -2.88%>   Avg. Bars
  Held
  2.65      2.63> >
  Winners
  3829 (51.53 %)      4066 (54.31
  %)>   Total Profit
  64437022.92      436648089.7>   Avg.
  Profit      16828.68
  107390.09>   Avg. Profit %
  3.10%
  3.13%>   Avg. Bars Held
  2.33
  2.33>   Max. Consecutive
  17      17>   Largest
  win      978262.15
  7798920.06>   # bars in largest
  win      2      2>
  >   Losers      3602 (48.47
  %)            3421
  (45.69 %)>   Total Loss
  -41552842.92      -246409709.4>
  Avg. Loss
  -11536.05      -72028.56>   Avg.
  Loss %
  -11.88%
  -10.03%>   Avg. Bars Held
  2.98
  2.99>   Max. Consecutive
  13      12>   Largest
  loss
  -542767
  -4301835.5>   # bars in largest
  loss      6      6>
  >   Max. trade drawdown
  -610851.92      -4864832.72>   Max.
  trade % drawdown
  -98.69%
  -99.67%>   Max. system drawdown
  -2119041.36      -15587244.83>
  Max. system % drawdown
  -34.68%
  -27.63%>   Recovery Factor
  10.8
  12.2>   CAR/MaxDD
  2.57
  5.15>   RAR/MaxDD
  2.72
  5.46>   Profit Factor
  1.55
  1.77>   Payoff Ratio
  1.46
  1.49>   Standard Error
  2982472.3      25676798.01>
  Risk-Reward Ratio
  0.44      0.38>   Ulcer
  12.1
  7.64>   Ulcer Performance Index
  6.92      17.9>   Sharpe Ratio of
  trades      -0.72
  -0.86>
  K-Ratio
  1.09      0.93> >   FWIW, I
  have some other systems / variations that I'll run a RSW
  vs.>   QRS comparison on. If there are any notable
  improvements to the RSW>   results, I'll post them.>
  >   Regards,> >   Phsst>
  >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Greg"
  <gregbean@xxxx> wrote:>   >
  Phsst,>   >>   > Yes I think it is
  (Total Return 13-Week) means (Pct Price gain in>   >
  13-Weeks). The terms are from ValueLine, I think.>   > <A
  href="">http://www.valueline.com/>
  >>   > IBD definition of Relative
  Strength:>   >>   >  Relative
  Price Strength (RS) Rating or Relative StrengthThis IBD>
  SmartSelect® Corporate Rating measures each stock's price
  performance>   over the latest twelve months compared to all
  other stocks. The rating>   scale ranges from 1 (lowest) to
  99 (highest). Stocks rating below 70>   indicate weaker or
  more laggard relative price performance.>   > <A
  href="">http://www.investors.com/>
  >>   >>   >
  Greg>   >>   >   -----
  Original Message ----->   >   From:
  Phsst>   >   To:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   >   Sent: Saturday,
  December 13, 2003 4:52 PM>   >   Subject:
  [amibroker] Re: PositionScore Ideas>
  >>   >>   >
  Greg,>   >>   >   I'll be
  happy to do a comparison on just about anything thatmight
  be>   >   comparable to IDB's RS
  Rank.>   >>   >   I assume
  that (Total Return 13-Week) means (Pct Price gain in>
  >   13-Weeks), and so on?>
  >>   >   Worth noting here, that IDB's RS
  Rank is a score between 1 and 100>   >   that
  ranks each particular stock against the whole mkt for the>
  past year.>   >>   >   But
  for positionscore pusposes, we are not limited to a scoreof 1
  ->   >   100, so I can do the raw comparison of
  results from your formula>   to QRS.>
  >>   >   I'll post back later under this same
  Subject.>   >>   >
  Regards>   >>   >
  Phsst>   >>   >>
  >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Greg"
  <gregbean@xxxx> wrote:>   >   > Hi
  Phsst.>   >   >>
  >   > Here is a formula that I have been told closely follows
  thatof IBD.>   >   Could you please do the
  comparison you offered ?>   >
  >>   >   > RSW = .4*(Total Return
  13-Week)+.3*(Total Return26-Week)+.3*(Total>
  >   Return 1-Year)>   >
  >>   >   > Thanks,>
  >   > Greg>   >
  Al,>   >   >>
  >   >   My favorite is the QP2 QRS value
  (GetExtraData("QRS"). TheQP2 QRS>   >
  >   value is supposed to be a 'knockoff' of the IBD RS
  rankingscore.>   >
  >>   >   >   I almost always get
  a significant boost using this ranking>   figure
  as>   >   >   as the
  positionscore.>   >   >>
  >   >   If you do not have QP2, but have any ideas
  about how to do>   your own RS>
  >   >   Rank calculation, I'd be happy to run some
  comparisons foryou (or>   >
  >   anyone else) to measure your calculated RS Rank
  againstQP2's QRS>   >
  rank.>   >   >>
  >   >   Cheers,>   >
  >>   >   >
  Phsst>   >   >   --- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Al Venosa"
  <advenosa@xxxx>>   wrote:>
  >   >   > Hi, all:>
  >   >   >>   >
  >   > I've been experimenting with variuos short term
  tradingsystems>   >   >
  lately (average trade durations of about 2.5 days), and I
  was>   looking>   >
  >   for ideas on how best to rank a watchlist to get the
  best>   candidates>   >
  >   for portfolio trading a basket of 4 stocks. I was wondering
  if>   anyone>   >
  >   would care to share any ideas on how you use the
  PositionScore>   >   >   function
  to rank your candidate list (using regular mode, not>
  >   >   rotational mode). I've tried combinations of
  turnover and>   volatility,>
  >   >   but I'd like to try other ideas. I'm not
  asking anyone to give>   away>
  >   >   any secrets, and, yes, I am aware of TJ's
  example in thehelp file>   >
  >   (PositionScore = 100 -RSI());), but I was just looking
  for>   more ideas.>   >
  >   I'm not even sure if this question is too vague or not. If
  it>   is, I'm>   >
  >   sure you'll tell me. TIA.>
  >   >   >>   >
  >   > Al Venosa>   >