RE: [amibroker] exiting flat positions

<SPAN
class=043595603-13122003>Ken, did you see the code I posted in starting this
thread? It's a pretty simple ApplyStop, starting as a stoploss but rising each
bar until it requires more and more profit to stay in. I'm not 100% sure, but I
think it worked as intended, it just wasn't very profitable with the system I
tried it with.
<SPAN
class=043595603-13122003>
<SPAN
class=043595603-13122003>Dave
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face=Arial color=navy
  size=2><SPAN
  >Al/Gary/and
  Dave:  this is an excellent thread and I read all messages in it before
  replying.  This came up once in some conversations I had and the idea was
  that if the position did not rise a certain percentage in a specified number
  of days, then it was sold.

  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Al, it seems like you
  are saying to do this with a n-days stop but my question is how do you &#8220;turn
  off&#8221; the n-days stop if in fact the stock price has appreciated enough that
  you want to maintain the trade controlled by a trailing
  stop???
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >A variation of this
  aspect is how do you write a stop that exits if there is less than y
  appreciation in the last n days.  IOW, many stocks exhibit a &#8220;stair-step&#8221;
  pattern: up for several days in a row, then horizontal (within some upper and
  lower consolidation limits) and then up some more, etc.

  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Supposedly, you could
  just stay in the trade if it appreciated more than your required y percentage
  in the first n days, but what if it just then stagnated.  You would want
  to put your money elsewhere.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >My impression is that
  complex stops like this need to be programmed manually.  I do not see how
  you can use the builtin Applystops??  Unless&#8230;can these be controlled by
  IIF statements?   Sitting here trying to write an example and cannot
  think how I would do it?
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Want to see a
  &#8220;home-brew&#8221; of some complex conditions I made up for this and some additional
  constraints.  This was a nightmare that sort of ran but I abandoned it
  for other reasons.  This was the section, however, that attempted such a
  control of the situation so to speak.  I just put some notes in for this
  message in purple.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Buy1
  = <SPAN
  >Cross<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >(Blevel,CMO)
  <SPAN
  >AND<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN

  Up;
  <SPAN
  >Sell1=
  EUp;
  <SPAN
  >Buy<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >=<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=blue size=2><SPAN
  >ExRem<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >(Buy1,Sell1);
  <SPAN
  >TimeL=<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=blue size=2><SPAN
  >BarsSince<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >(<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=red size=2><SPAN
  >Buy<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >==<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  >1<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >);<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  ><<Measuring
  the time in trade
  <SPAN
  >BPrice=<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=blue size=2><SPAN
  >ValueWhen<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >(<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=red size=2><SPAN
  >Buy<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >==<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  >1<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >,<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=red size=2><SPAN
  >O<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >,<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  >1<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >);
  <SPAN
  >ChangeL=<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  >100<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >*(<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=red size=2><SPAN
  >C<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >-BPrice)/BPrice;<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  ><<Change
  in the position since purchase
  <SPAN
  >TooLongL=TimeL><FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  >15<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN

  <SPAN
  >AND<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN

  ChangeL<<FONT face="Courier New" color=fuchsia
  size=2><SPAN
  >2<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >;<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  ><<Don&#8217;t
  keep if <2% gain in 15 days
  <SPAN
  >TooLongL=<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=blue size=2><SPAN
  >ExRem<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >(ToolongL,TimeL<<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  >15<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >);
  <SPAN
  >StopLossL=<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=blue size=2><SPAN
  >IIf<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >(<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=blue size=2><SPAN
  >Cross<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >(-<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  >13<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >,ChangeL),<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  >6<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >,<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  >0<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >);<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  ><<setting
  unique code to tell why an exit
  <SPAN
  >StopLOssL=<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=blue size=2><SPAN
  >ExRem<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >(StopLossL,<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=red size=2><SPAN
  >Buy<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >);
  <SPAN
  >ProfitL=<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=blue size=2><SPAN
  >IIf<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >(<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=blue size=2><SPAN
  >Cross<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >(ChangeL,<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  >10<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >),<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  >1<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >,<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  >0<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >);<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  ><<
  Profit target met then sell + set code
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >(There
  is no trailing stop nor feature to stay with the trailing
  stop
  <SPAN
  >if
  the price continues to appreciate, but I suppose that could be added in

  <SPAN
  >here
  somehow, somewhere)
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >ProfitL=<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=blue size=2><SPAN
  >ExRem<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >(ProfitL,<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=red size=2><SPAN
  >Buy<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >);
  <SPAN
  >Above2_15
  = <SPAN
  >Flip<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >(ChangeL><FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  >2<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN

  <SPAN
  >AND<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN

  TimeL><FONT face="Courier New" color=fuchsia
  size=2><SPAN
  >15<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >,<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=red size=2><SPAN
  >Buy<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >);
  <SPAN
  >Drop2
  = Above2_15 <FONT face="Courier New" color=red
  size=2><SPAN
  >AND<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Cross<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >(<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=fuchsia size=2><SPAN
  >2<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >,ChangeL);
  <SPAN
  >Drop2=<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=blue size=2><SPAN
  >ExRem<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >(Drop2,<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=red size=2><SPAN
  >Buy<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >);
  <SPAN
  >Sell<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN

  = Sell1 <SPAN
  >OR<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN

  TooLongL <SPAN
  >OR<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN

  StopLossL <SPAN
  >OR<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN

  ProfitL <SPAN
  >OR<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN

  Drop2;
  <SPAN
  >Buy<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >=<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=blue size=2><SPAN
  >ExRem<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >(<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=red size=2><SPAN
  >Buy<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >,<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=red size=2><SPAN
  >Sell<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >);
  <SPAN
  >Sell<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >=<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=blue size=2><SPAN
  >ExRem<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >(<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=red size=2><SPAN
  >Sell<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >,<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=red size=2><SPAN
  >Buy<FONT
  face="Courier New" color=black size=2><SPAN
  >);
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Talk about
  inefficient coding logic!!! LOL You can tell I am a brute force kind of clunky
  coder; some of the experts here would reduce this to several lines.  LOL
  again.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Can a series of