RE: [AmiBroker] AmiBroker Tharp System Testing Template

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Al,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Thank
you for the reply...
%ATR
an error on my part... I was tired... I meant 3*ATR.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Classical usage is fine.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Thanks
again.
Mr.
Valley
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Al Venosa
  [mailto:advenosa@xxxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Monday, December 08, 2003 5:01
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: [AmiBroker]
  AmiBroker Tharp System Testing Template
  Hi, Mr. Valley:

  Sorry for waiting more than a week to respond. I completely forgot. Good
  think I kept your email. Anyway, Amibroker uses ATR(10), which uses
  Wilder's smoothing to compute it, a bastardized form of exponential moving
  average, whereas MA(ATR(1),10) is a simple moving average of daily ranges.So,
  they give slightly different results. I really don't think it matters a whole
  hell of a lot which one you use, but the classical usage is Wilder's. Both are
  correct; some traders use the SMA, others use EMA, and others use Wilder's.
  It's what your choice is and what works best for you. In AB, since it's a
  built-in function, it's easy just to use ATR(x). Now, regarding volatility
  stops like 3% ATR, I'm not sure I follow what it is you are asking, but if you
  mean ATR as a percent of the price, like ATR(10)/C, you can certainly use that
  as a filter (i.e, only buy stocks whose ATR/C is between, say, 2% and 9%). But
  I don't know what you mean when you refer to a %ATR stop. Can you expand upon
  your question a little more? Thanks, and sorry again for being so tardy in
  responding.

  AV
  <BLOCKQUOTE