[amibroker] Re: What is padded data?

Herman
My understanding is that data holes (ie days where a stock doesn't
trade eg trading halt) are filled with previous days data, not that
all stocks are padded to the same length as reference symbol.  An
example of how this may effect things; Take a stock that for some
reason has only traded 10 of the last 12 trading days.  ROC(C,10)
with unpadded data will compare today's close with the close 10 data
periods before (in this case 12 Trading days before).  Padded Data
will give a ROC(C,10) where the comparison is made to the close 10
trading days before.  Which is desirable is an individual
preference, there is no right or wrong.  An example where padding is
probably desirable is comparing a 10 period ROC of a stock to a 10
period ROC of a market index.
Hope this helps
Andrew
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Herman vandenBergen"