[amibroker] StoRSI... was Re: Robustness

Yeah probably too many factors to code, yet, dare I say it (LOL),
except for the real-time fundamental information analysis, probably
code-able. But I agree it'd be very difficult and time
consuming task.

Anyway, happy trading... May the trend be with you. :-)

Jitu

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jayson" <jcasavant@xxxx> wrote:
> Jitu,
> I guess yes, a system in that I do use signals but no in the fact
that I do
> not always take my signals. Example; Perhaps I have a stock that
tends to
> respect raff channels. I hand draw the channel and fit it to the
last trend.
> Could I code a signal that shows a bounce off a line? Perhaps but
does the
> code show the best time frame to draw the study? Does 50 bars work
best now
> and did 50 bars work best 2 years ago. Is a width of .75 best now
and was it
> best 5 years ago? Now I see my stock bouncing off the lower band.
In a
> system perhaps this would be a signal but I notice a stock that is
in the
> same sector is floundering a bit at the open and I know that
another stock
> is announcing earnings after the bell. If that stock tanks it could
perhaps
> bring down the whole sector and my stock as well. Oh and consumer
confidence
> reports today at 10:30 should I buy the open or wait to see the
markets
> reaction to that news?
>
> The point is that I am free to factor in all this information prior
> pulling the trigger. In a system, by definition, I am not. Do I
test? Sure I
> may test and optimize the simple StoRSI system that I posted to
find if a:
> the signals hold any promise over time, b: a particular stock
respects the
> signals and  c: what settings it has been respecting most lately.
If that
> indicator tests well then I plop it down on a chart as well as other
> indicators that tell me something different.  I like SToRSI but I
also like
> DMI to see if the momentum has been consolidating and is now
ramping up as
> well. I use Raff channels daily but also look for flags, pennant and
> triangles. The chart patterns may tell me something about the trader
> psycology currently affecting the stock. A flag or pennant after a
good run
> may be just a pause and  an opportunity to get back in or add to a
position
> but what constitutes a "Good run"?  For me, at least, there are
simply too
> many variables to factor in to write a system that I could follow.
I stare
> at charts every day, I know a few charts very well. I can "Feel"
when they
> are trying to fool me and I have no clue how to code that
feel...... I am
> not saying this is correct just that it works for me. Many would
find the
> flexibility crushing, find that the alternatives lead to "Paralysis
of
> analysis". To each his own :)
>
> Regards,
> Jayson