Re: [amibroker] Re: To Correlate or Not to Correlate, that is the quuestion !

hi louw,

several months ago there was a
thread about pair trading on this board with some very interesting posts by
yuki. have a look at message #38336 and #38346.
correlation of 2 stocks (or rather
of their ROC) can go from -1 to 1.
1 means "a perfect match" with both
stocks doing the same moves -- 0 means they are not correlated at all -- and -1
means that one stocks does exactly the opposite as the other, so when one stock
of the pair goes up 3,7% the other would go down 3,7%.
so if you are not able to trade
short with your broker you could *THEORETICALLY* try to find stocks with high
negative correlations and go long on both. but i seriously doubt that this way
you could achieve a market neutral position (which is what pair trading is all
about). if the whole market has huge up or down swings those negative
corelations are not likely to stay that way ...

adios,

dirk
<BLOCKQUOTE