[amibroker] Re: Muscatel Induced Ramblings

http://www.traders.com/Documentation/FEEDbk_docs/Archive/102001/Abstra
cts_new/Bryant/byrant.html

rgds, Pal
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Gary A. Serkhoshian"
<serkhoshian777@xxxx> wrote:
> Jitu,
>
> It seems like on more highly-tuned signals you can slap a trendline
on the equity curve or a 100ma (per Dimitris idea) as a circuit
breaker.  Selection methods based on equity curves are, as Fred puts
it, "ambulance chasing".  I would agree with that.

> [...]
> is not valid when considers the fact that you can play with
> 99% of the jungle simulations before ever you set your foot
> in one.
>
> Jitu
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Gary A. Serkhoshian"
> <serkhoshian777@xxxx> wrote:
> > Pal,
> >
> > You description of stationarity vs non-stationarity was nothing
> short of poetic.  I had to read through your e-mail twice, but
thanks
> for taking the time.
> >
> > I certainly agree it is good to know that we are not dealing with
> stationary data series.  The big headline I take away from all this
> discussion is:
> >
> > 1.  Beware of over-optimizing.
> > 2.  Build in ways of detecting market changes
> > 3.  Have circuit breakers on your systems assuming #2 doesn't
work.

> > I'm an Army guy.  So, if you can't break it down to some useable
> rules, it's just talk.  After all, we trade where the rubber meets
> the road, not in the clouds with all the academics.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Gary
> > palsanand <palsanand@xxxx> wrote:
> > I agree.  I would love to hear your comments on the following:
> >
> > The more you have information, the more you are confident about
the
> > outcome. Now the problem: by how much? Common statistical method
is
> > based on the steady augmentation of the confidence level, in
> > nonlinear proportion to the number of observations. That is, for
an
> > times increase in the sample size, we increase our knowledge by
the
> > square root of n. Suppose I am drawing from an urn containing red
> and
> > black balls. My confidence level about the relative proportion of
> red
> > and black balls, after 20 drawings is not twice the one I have
> after
> > 10 drawings; it is merely multiplied by the square root of 2
(that
> > is, 1.41).
> >
> > Where statistics becomes complicated, and fails us, is when we
have
> > distributions that are not symmetric, like the urn above. If
there
> is
> > a very small probability of finding a red ball in an urn
dominated
> by
> > black ones, then our knowledge about the absence of red balls
will
> > increase very slowly – more slowly than at the expected square
root
> > of n rate. On the other hand our knowledge of the presence of red
> > balls will dramatically improve once one of them is found. This
> > asymmetry in knowledge is not trivial--it is a central
philophical
> > problem for such people as Hume and Karl Popper. I can confirm
that
> > an investor trader is a bad investor (if he blows up); but I can
> > never rule out that he may be one.
> >
> > To assess an investor's performance, we either need more astute,
> and
> > less intuitive, techniques, or we may have to limit our
assessments
> > to situations where our judgment is independent of the frequency
of
> > these events.
> >
> > But there is even worse news. In some cases, if the incidence of
> red
> > balls is itself randomly distributed, we will never get to know
the
> > composition of the urn. This is called the problem of
stationarity.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511