RE: [amibroker] Re: Trading mutual funds...

No,
you aren't able to actually short a mutual fund.

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Yes,
"bear" funds are actually short only on the underlying
securities.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: jtelang
  [mailto:jtelang@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 10:20
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  Trading mutual funds...That's because they're going
  short on underlying securities,right, or did you mean something else?.
  Can you actually  "go short" on a MF itself, or is that a
  no-no?--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher"
  <chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:> Jitu,> > You may
  not be aware, but there are some mutual funds (Rydex, ProFunds)
  that> when you "buy" them, you are effectively taking on a "short"
  position.>   -----Original
  Message----->   From: jtelang
  [mailto:jtelang@xxxx]>   Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003
  10:11 PM>   To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: Trading mutual funds...> >
  >   Fred,> >   From this, do I
  understand it correctly that one can't go>   short on MF's?
  Why would one be sitting on cash otherwise?>   Or may be I'm
  not following what you said below...> >   Jitu>
  >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred"
  <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:>   > One other note
  regarding short term trading ... There are of course>
  > ways to accomplish the same thing with out actually taking
  the>   short>   > term trades i.e. by
  hedging using a bear oriented fund leaving you>   >
  more or less market neutral during the period of time when
  you>   would>   > have been sitting in
  cash.>   >>   > --- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred" <fctonetti@xxxx>
  wrote:>   > > See below ...>   >
  >>   > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck
  Rademacher">   > > <chuck_rademacher@x>
  wrote:>   > > > Maybe some of you guys (and gals)
  who trade mutual funds can>   > answer>
  > > a couple>   > > > of
  questions?>   > > >>   > >
  > 1.  If there's no money to be made in (rotational trading
  of)>   > > ETF's, am I>   >
  > > correct when I assume that there's no money to be made in
  the>   > Rydex->   > >
  like>   > > > funds that only mimic an
  >>   > > Rydex's funds are pretty much either index
  or sector oriented.>   > This>   >
  > is not the kind of thing I personally like to trade.  But
  for>   > example>   > > if you have
  a system that trades SPX, NDX or RUT well or is good>
  at>   > > jumping on the sector that's likely to be hot
  next as opposed to>   > the>   >
  > one that just was then it would certainly work in this
  scenario.>   > >>   > > >
  2.  Based on current rules and redemption penalties,
  which>   > families>   > >
  of>   > > > mutual funds can you recommend for
  rotational trading?>   > > >>
  > >>   > > I don't personally trade on what one
  would consider to be a>   > > rotational basis.
  As I and Ken stated, erf's or the funds>   >
  management>   > > policies will eventually weed out
  most if not all the short term>   > > traders,
  especially the ones with large dollars.  So if you
  are>   > > looking to trade mf's with some sort of
  short term oriented>   > > rotational system as opposed
  to one that trades on an>   intermediate>
  > > basis picking good candidates at the beginning of a market
  buy>   and>   > > for the most part
  holding them until a market sell then you are>   >
  going>   > > to find yourself pretty much limited to
  Rydex, ProFunds & Potomac.>   >
  >>   > > > 3.  If most (or all) such
  families of funds charge early>   >
  redemption>   > > fees, is>   >
  > > it safe to assume that you are trading these mid to long
  term?>   > > >>   > >
  > There's no sense in me working on a system that appears to
  do>   > well,>   > > only
  to>   > > > find that redemption fees are going to
  kill me.   Or, is it>   > > possible
  that>   > > > there's enough money to be made that
  the fees are of little>   > >
  consequence?>   > > >>   >
  >>   > > Most do NOT yet charge erf's and as you can
  see from prior posts>   > it's>
  > > debatable as to whether or not they will and if so what
  the>   minimum>   > > holding periods
  will be to trigger those.  For short term>
  oriented>   > > traders adding a 1-2% erf in a 7-14 day
  period would be enough to>   > > send them
  elsewhere or to a different methodology.  What the
  SEC>   or>   > > the fund
  companies themselves will do with this remains to be>   >
  seen.>   > > They really can't afford to be too
  outrageous with it as every>   > > 401k/IRA/VA account
  holder on the planet will be screaming bloody>   >
  > murder.>   > >>   > > >
  Out of all of the above, I'm really interested in some>
  > > recommendations on>   > > > mutual fund
  families to trade.  I can then go do my own>   > >
  investigation as to>   > > > their fees, etc and
  devise my own systems that will work with>   >
  those>   > > fees.>   > >
  >>   > >>   > > I wouldn't
  think families as there is no real reason to just like>
  > > there is no real reason to arbitrarilly limit ones trading
  in>   > stocks>   > > to some
  specific group based on whatever.>   >
  >>   > > > Thanks> >
  >         Yahoo! Groups