RE: [amibroker] Re: Portfolio Trading Presentation

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Fred,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
You
and PT certainly did not waste anyone's time.  I also think that many of
your ideas crept into TJ's implementation of the portfolio
backtester.   You and Dingo provided those of us who were brave
enough to try new things with an edge once AB included portfolio
functions.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
I'm
still using PT and will continue to do so until TJ has fully implemented all of
the logic for stops.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Thanks
again to you and Dingo and the users who contributed to your development
ideas.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Fred
  [mailto:fctonetti@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 4:54
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  Portfolio Trading PresentationLet me also state that
  for the most part I am pretty much exclusively using AB as opposed to
  PT.The reasons for this are very simple:- AB does an adaquete
  job for what I need which is probably more than most users need in this
  area.- AB is where future development is going to for the most part take
  place. - I am a trader and I would rather spend my time developing
  systems and trading those systems then developing and supporting
  tools.If I have helped in some small way to contribute ideas about the
  implementation of portfolio trading in AB that's a good thing.  If
  not then forgive me for wasting everyones time.FredPS For
  any of you who are still using PT or for some reason are interested in
  using PT, PLEASE direct any and all questions either to <A
  href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PortfolioTrader/
  or to me directly at ftonetti AT optonline.net, not to TJ as he has more
  than enough things to do.--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred"
  <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:> As I stated earlier or in the beta
  forum, PT rests somewhere between > AB's rotational and non
  rotational modes.  It can do some things > AB/PT can't or at least
  can't easily depending on the creativity of > the user and AB/PT can do
  some things that PT can't.  > > I personally prefer the all
  in one GUI interface of PT where from an > AFL perspective I only
  really need to be concerned about writing AFL > for scoring but
  that's a personal preference.  There is certainly no > need
  for one to use PT.  It was developed to fill what was a void in
  > AB at the time and I think it accomplished that goal and it could
  be > continued to be used or not depending on ones needs,
  preferences etc.> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Al
  Venosa" <advenosa@xxxx> wrote:> > Hi, Gary:> >
  > > I thoroughly enjoyed your presentation. I have a question: Can
  > Amibroker do most of the stuff you referred to that PT can do? I
  hate > the thought of having to learn yet another software package.
  There > simply are not enough hours in the day (at least until I
  retire!!). > > > > Al Venosa> >
  ----- Original Message ----- > >   From: Gary A.
  Serkhoshian > >   To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >
  >   Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 11:47 AM>
  >   Subject: Re: [amibroker] Portfolio Trading
  Presentation> > > > > >   Hi
  John,> > > >   Thanks for the kind
  comments.  The idea behind the presentation > is that timing and
  selection should be viewed separately so that the > results of one
  don't cloud the other, and then bring the two together > in a
  synergistic fashion.  More importantly, selection is value-added
  > to a solid timing methodology.> > > >
  In other words, we want a selection method that matches our > timing
  signal.  When we are trading short-term, swing-trading systems
  > for example, we would want as much beta as we can stand to maximize
  > returns over the period.  Clearly there are other selection
  methods > for short-term systems.> > >
  >   An example in the mutual fund world is the RUTVOL signal
  which is > an intermediate term signal. Consequently, we'd want a
  selection > method that matches that holding period.  A good
  example is Werner > Gansz' ncAlpha which essentially is telling you how
  well-behaved the > price action is over a given period.  UPI
  is another interesting > selection method for int-term systems.>
  > > >   If this isn't too much info, then you could
  blend the two where > you have a short term selection method on day of
  entry, but change > your ranking method as the trade develops.>
  > > >   As many have written on this board, AmiBroker
  is limited only by > what your imagination can produce.  All
  of the above discoveries have > only come about since my use of
  AB.> > > >   Hope this helps,>
  >   Gary> > > > > >
  john gibb <jgibb1@xxxx> wrote:> >     nice
  presentation, Gary!> > > >     Can you
  clarify or elaborate on the beta-volatility > relationship you imply
  here (i hope I have quoted you accurately)?> > >
  >         "...beta (for selection)
  is more of a swing-term-selection > methodology (where you are just
  trading pure volatility off of > biotech)..."> > >
  >     thanks,> > >
  >     john>
  2003 7:32 AM> >       Subject:
  [amibroker] Portfolio Trading Presentation> > > > >
  >       Hi all,> > >
  >        > > >
  >       I gave a presentation on Portfolio
  Trading up in scenic > Buffalo, Texas a few weeks ago, and Bruce
  Robinson was kind enough to > capture it as a screen cam.
  Should be helpful for those still > confused about portfolio trading,
  and for those more experienced > it'll provide a new perspective.
  Give it a look.> > >
  >        > > >
  >       The presentation I'll give at the
  February AmiBroker > conference in Clearwater will go into much more
  depth with plenty of > examples and practical application.
  The talk in Buffalo was only > slotted for an hour, and fortunately I
  will have substantially more > time in Clearwater in order to really
  dig in to portfolio trading.> > >
  >        > > >
  >       Should be good fun and great
  learning.  As if you needed > another reason to be in Florida
  during the Winter (not to forget our > friends down-under who'll be
  sweltering in the Summer heat : ) .> > >

  www.omniphase.com/gary> > >
  >        > > >
  >       username:  guest> >
  > >       password:
  hollywood> > > >
  not small (67MB), and is a camtasia screen cam > movie packaged with a
  player.  Just double-click, it'll unpack, and > play.  I know
  your Mother told you to never click on .exe files off > the web, but I
  can assure you it is safe !! : )  Dingo will club me > over the
  head if it isn't : )> > >
  >        > > >
  >       Hope it helps, and thanks to all the
  contributors who make > this board a constant source of new
  learning.> > > >
  Regards,> > > >

  >       Protect your identity with Yahoo!
  Mail AddressGuard > > >
  suggest@xxxx> >
  Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of > Service. >
  BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx> >     Send SUGGESTIONS
  to suggest@xxxx> >
  Protect your identity with Yahoo! Mail AddressGuard >
  >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

  ADVERTISEMENT>

  > >        >
  >        > > > >