size=2>d

  <FONT
  face=Tahoma size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Daniel Ervi
  [mailto:daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003
  11:25 AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re:
  [amibroker] AmiBroker vs Wealth-LabSorry for the late
  reply, but I missed this thread.I own both AmiBroker and Wealth-Lab,
  and have used, and still use, both pretty extensively.  Below are the
  pro's and cons for each, based *on my usage* of them and their suitability to
  my needs.  Please don't flame me, as this is based on my perceptions, and
  yours will probably differ. :)Amibroker Pro's:- Fast.
  Incredibly fast!- Automation interface is very complete, and Plugin API is
  excellent- Built in Composite support.- Great for rapid
  indicator/system testing because of the simple array notation- The latest
  betas have portfolio testing which is truly necessary IMHO- Excellent
  support, with thorough answers within hours- The community following (this
  list) is a great resource for newbies of both trading and programming- The
  third-party addins add some really great features and most are free-
  Tick-by-tick updates of indicators is great for monitor systems in an
  auto-trading environment- I prefer the C++-style syntax over the Delphi
  syntaxAmibroker Con's:- No Quote.Com support.  I know
  the developers API is expensive, but Quote.com is the only data provider to
  supply > 120 days of historical 1 min data and unlimited symbols.  It
  goes back to 1997 for most stocks and indexes on a 1 min basis.  I have
  >10 gigs of 1 min data for the SP500 components at my disposal thanks to
  Quote.com.- Limited drawing support.  What is here is great, but
  there are a few things that would make it superb.  Being able to plot a
  triangle or box would allow one to plot Gartley's or highlight trades with a
  green or red box based on whether they made a profit or not, or maybe
  highlight the opening range in orange until it is over.  Changing
  background colors would allow gradients to show a condition getting better or
  worse.  You get the idea...- No position management functions.
  I find it harder to program systems when you rely on a simple boolean on/off
  for entry/exit signals.  In WL, once a position is created, you can use
  position-based functions like PositionEntryBar() or PositionActive() or
  PositionMFE() to loop through a collection of positions and apply simple
  tests/exits to them.  Multiple concurrent position systems are greatly
  simplified this way as trade management is done on a trade by trade
  basis.  FWIW, this would eliminate the need for functions like
  ExRem().- No native class/object support.  This can be done via the
  API, so it's not that big a deal.  But for complex scripts (ie a native
  AFL genetic algorithm implementation via includes) this would be a
  life-saver.- No auto-trading interface/API.  This for me is the
  biggest reason I have WL.- Position Sizing algorithms needs to be done via
  your script.  WL allows you to separate the Positions Sizing from the
  trade entry/exit scripts.  This makes it easy to try various position
  sizing algorithms without the need to change any code.- No built in
  debugger (ie breakpoints, etc)Wealth-Lab Pro's:- Native
  auto-trading with attached portfolio management.  This was implemented
  really well because of the attached portfolio, and I have used it with over 20
  positions auto-trading at once on a 5 min timeframe.  It didn't miss a
  beat.- Rich set of graphics features.  I have some pretty advanced
  plots that highlight all types of scenario's during the trading day.-
  Built in debugger, with breakpoints and the ability to look at variable
  contents- API's available for most areas of the program, including a
  broker interface- Language is based on Delphi/Pascal (OOP) and allows for
  classes/inheritance/polymorphism/etc.- Ability to download new
  "chartscripts" (systems, indicators, etc) via a menu option.  This is a
  great *built-in* repository for those starting out, or for those looking to
  explore other ideas.  Simply refresh the system by choosing "download
  chartscripts" from the menu.- Position Sizing is a separate script.
  Once you see the difference that position sizing can have on a strategy, this
  feature becomes critical.  You can apply any sizing strategy during
  system ranking/optimization/portfolio simulations/etc.  This can
  dramatically change the results of these methods.- Custom optimization
  fitness functions.  You can program an expectancy function and use it as
  your optimization criteria for example.- Full suite of position management
  functions.Wealth-Lab Con's:- Slow.  Molasses slow
  compared to AB.  If you have greater than 100,000 bars, forget about
  it.- Indicators don't update on tick intervals.  The last price bar
  (aka ghost bar) does, but nothing else.- Plugin API is based on COM
  (slower) and doesn't allow for native syntax-highlighting- You can't
  import ASCII files to a faster native binary format.  So every system
  test you run has to re-parse the data, which can slow you down dramatically on
  large datasets.- Simple/Rapid indicator and system development is slower
  compared to AB.  The Metastock-style array notation in AB is a huge
  timesaver.  There are wizards in WL3 to help with this, but I still find
  the process cumbersome compared to AB/MS.- You can't auto-trade on less
  than 1 minute bars.  It would have been nice to trade the ES or NQ on
  tick bars, but it can't be done yet.These are *my* impressions on
  the two packages.  I use AB whenever I need to rapidly test an idea, or
  if I am trying to run a test on a large set of data.  I then move to WL
  to refine the ideas, apply position sizing, and then deploy them via the
  auto-trading.  So for me at least, the two complement each other very
  well.Hope I don't stir up any trouble with this post.  I just
  wanted to stress that both packages have there place, and although AB is great
  in it's current state, there is always room for improvement.  Or else TJ
  would have retired ages ago, right TJ? ;)DanielOn Mon,
  10 Nov 2003 03:44:07 -0000, seneca_kw wrote:> I enoyed the recent
  informative thread on AmiBroker vs Metastock.> I'd appreciate a
  similar comparison with Wealth-Lab.  I searched> the archive
  but found no mention of WL.>> I'm not expecting a
  point-by-point rundown, but for those who have> tried both, is
  there one feature or another that really was a> difference
  maker?>> Thanks,> Wayne>>> ------------------------
  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------> ~--> Buy Ink
  Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or> Lexmark
  Printer at MyInks.com. Free s/h on orders $50 or more to> the US
  & Canada. <A
  href="">http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511> <A
  href="">http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/GHeqlB/TM> --------------------------------------------------------------------> -~->>>> Send
  BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Send SUGGESTIONS to