[amibroker] Re: Let's all trade ENRON

Steve,

Go do some research on your website!

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "CedarCreekTrading" <kernish@xxxx>
wrote:
> Mark,
>
> >   Most systems will most likely fail! Take your 315 trading days
> and
> >   see the results are any good.
>

> "This guy" asked me to prove my approach on NTES, I simply asked
him to prove his (yet to be disclosed) approach on Pork Bellies.
Turn around is fair play.

> Don't you have something better to do?  Like: answering the
repeated requests from the forum to post your ideas on what's the
definition of robust.

> There are scores of folks, on forums, that I have helped wade
through the technical garbage that is written, sold and
distributed.  All for free, nothing asked in return. Who have you
positively influenced in recent (or lifetime) history?

> So, continue to "jump in my shit", at every opportunity, and you
will accomplish your short-term goal:  making sure that I will no
longer help anyone (publicly) on the AB forum.

> Take care,
>
> Steve

Pork
>   Bellies and report back.
>   >
>   > Take care,
>   >
>   > Steve
Going
>   bad
>   >   is best defined by a change in the pattern of supply and
demand.
>   The
>   >   cream rises to the top of the list.
>   >   >
>   >   >   Is this optimizing?  Could be, by some definitions.  If
all
>   the
>   >   odds are even money, who would you prefer to bet on:
Chicago or
>   >   Kansas City?  KC is undefeated and Chicago couldn't beat the
>   local
>   >   high school.  My money is on KC.
>   >   >
>   >   >   The stock betting setup is not handicapped (like almost
all
>   >   games).  This is basically a even money play (with
subtractions
>   for
>   >   commission and slippage...juice/vigorish).  If you have 9,000
>   issues
>   >   to play, why won't someone want to bet on the strongest
>   performance?
>   >   >
>   >   >   I know that the explanation might be over
simplified...but,
>   the
>   >   people who know me, in and out of this forum, know that this
is
>   the
>   >   way I do it.  I'm not crusading for anything.  This works.
I've
>   >   presented this simplistic approach publicly to large groups
and
>   in a
>   >   number of internet seminars. It continues to crank out
>   extraordinary
>   >   profits.
>   >   >
>   >   >   Please let me know if the paragraphs help to explain the
>   ranking.
>   >   >
>   >   >   Take care,
>   >   >
>   >   >   Steve
>   >   >
>   >   >
accidentally
>   >   gorgeous backtest results from robustness. you do mention
testing
>   >   also at faster time frames, which isn't a technique that's
been
>   >   mentioned recently. but mostly, the robustness label here
seems
>   >   come from your integration of various aspects of your long
>   experience
>   >   with it, like your visual sense of how it behaves. am I
missing
>   >   something?
>   >   >
>   >   >     another question: you mention issue selection, the
idea of
>   >   looking for stocks you think will trade well with a
particular
>   >   indicator, rather than the other way around. how do you do
that?
>   by
>   >   measuring raw past growth trading that indicator? other
measures?
>   >   >
>   >   >     thanks again,
>   >   >
>   >   >     dave
>   >   >       just for my understanding, in what sense is this
>   >   system "robust"?
>   >   >
>   >   >       Well, first, this was presented to the public in the
late
>   >   90's, at a series of seminars that I conducted for Equis.
Same
>   >   indicator, same triggers, same everything.  This
robust "thing"
>   is a
>   >   tough one to define.  I'll try to explain what's important
to me,
>   >   but, it's very subjective and just one person's opinion.
>   >   >
>   >   >       is it because results are similar with different
similar
>   >   periods and thresholds?
>   >   >
>   >   >       If you take this CMO5 indicator and step down in
time (5,
>   10,
>   >   60 minutes), you need to widen the triggers to obtain decent
>   >   results.  Other than that, it trades through time-zones with
very
>   >   good results.
>   >   >
>   >   >       that seems unlikely, since there isn't very far to go
>   from 5
>   >   to hit 1 and 0, which I'd guess are significantly different.
what
>   >   sort of testing led you to decide on this period and
threshold,
>   and
>   >   this system for that matter?
>   >   >
>   >   >       If you're referring to the CMO5...I first started
testing
>   it
>   >   six years ago.  I've tested and eyeballed every version of
>   CMO(x).
>   >   I've created a few indicators that combines different
periods of
>   the
>   >   CMO.  For my money, for my style, this judge of momentum
trades
>   more
>   >   things, more accurately than any other indicator I am aware
of.
>   As I
>   >   have begged many times:  give me something better...I'll use
it
>   >   instead of this.
>   >   >
>   >   >       is it robust because it works well on many stocks,
>   >   and funds over a long period of time?
>   >   >
>   >   >       Yes, it works well on many stocks and indexes.  I
don't
>   trade
>   >   funds, but, some fund managers, DTG members, use versions of
the
>   CMO
>   >   to aid their timing.
>   >   >
>   >   >       because of the concepts behind the indicator itself?
>   >   >
>   >   >       I process visually.  The math is beyond me.  My
bottom
>   line
>   >   has always been the same:  give me an indicator that is
smooth,
>   yet
>   >   sensitive to intermediate and major market turns.  After
gawking
>   >   hundreds of charts, everyday, for the last six years, I'm
amazed
>   at
>   >   how this indicator quantifies momentum.  I like versions of
the
>   >   Stochastic RSI and the Standard Error Oscillator, but dollar
for
>   >   dollar, the CMO does it for me.
>   >   >
>   >   >       something else?
>   >   >
>   >   >       I think there's a few other things to mention.
First of
>   all,
>   >   the ETF's that I showed were chosen because they represent a
>   broad
>   >   range of stocks and are popular trading instruments.  Do I
>   suggest
>   >   trading these issues with this system?  No way.  The CMO5
trades
>   >   lot of other issues with better results than the ETF's.  I
always
>   >   allow the issues "to pick themselves".  Trade the issues that
>   return
>   >   the greatest percentages in a stable system.
>   >   >
>   >   >       In it's stripped down version, as presented, the
CMO5 is
>   an
>   >   indicator that can return steady profits (see equity lines)
in
>   it's
>   >   rawest unoptimized form.  Is that robust?
>   >   >
>   >   >       Robustness and optimizing/over-optimizing are
fascinating
>   and
>   >   misunderstood subjects.  Over the years, I've constantly
>   simplified
>   >   my approaches.  I can improve on the results of the three
ETF's
>   by
>   >   simply "tweaking" the trigger levels.  But, will it walk
forward
>   >   better than the default triggers of 34/-34?  At least what I
>   >   presented was out of sample.
>   >   >
>   >   >       If an approach does a good job of identifying
movement of
>   >   supply and demand, the approach should not be expected to
work on
>   all
>   >   issues.  To say a system needs to work on all  issues is
total
>   >   crap.   To say that a system sucks because it doesn't work
on XYZ
>   is
>   >   another large pile.  Build simple things and concentrate on
issue
>   >   selection.
>   >   >
>   >   >       Optimization leads to dark and spooky places.
Ranking
> [...]
period
>   and
>   >   threshold, and this system for that matter?
>   >   >
>   >   >         is it robust because it works well on many stocks,
>   >   and funds over a long period of time?
>   >   >
>   >   >         because of the concepts behind the indicator
itself?
>   >   >
>   >   >         something else?
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   >         I'm not disputing the system's value, which I
haven't
>   >   tested yet. I'm trying to understand what kind of process
you go
>   >   through to settle on a system and settings.
>   >   >
>   >   >         thanks,
>   >   >
>   >   >         dave
>   >   >
>   >   >           1.  This exact system was presented over a year
ago
>   at
>   >   this forum
>   >   >           2.  The charts are OOS (since, it's been posted
>   publicly
>   >   forever)
>   >   >           3.  Rules are simple:  Buy the opening of the
next
>   day
>   >   when the CMO5 closes below -34 and sell when it triggers
above 34.
>   >   >
>   >   >           Works on most issues (raw).  Works better if:
>   >   >
>   >   >           a.  You take trades only with the trend
>   >   >           b.  You protect yourself from large drawdowns
(stop)
>   >   >           c.  You conjure a profit target (limit)
>   >   >           d.  You put in a time stop
>   >   >
>   >   >           This is the guts of an indicator and a logical
>   systematic
>   >   approach.  Whistles and bells are optional (but, in my
opinion
>   >   necessary).  Again, if you start with a pig, the prom dress
>   doesn't
>   >   make it look any better.  Don't hang ornaments on a twisted
>   Christmas
>   >   tree.
>   >   >
>   >   >
>   >   >     Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
>   >   >     Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx
>   >   >     -----------------------------------------
>   >   >     Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to:
>   >   amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   >   >     (Web page:
>   >   >     Check group FAQ at:
>   >   >
>   >   >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
Terms of
(http://www.grisoft.com).

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511