[amibroker] Re: Let's all trade ENRON

Steve,

Could you have made your point without trying to publicly put this guy
down and without speaking to him as if he's a subordinate "Why don't
you test your system on Pork Bellies and report back"?  Did he address
you disrespectfully first?  If not, then why take that tone?  Do you
think that makes this a better board?

Regards,

Mark

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "CedarCreekTrading" <kernish@xxxx>
wrote:
> I learnt to follow it regardless how much of a drop a stock can
drop.

> Good luck Joe,
>
> NTES was a piece of garbage one year ago: trading at $1.90.  It
could go back to that level.  Why don't you test your system on Pork
Bellies and report back.

<ajf1111@xxxx>
>   wrote:
>   > Steve,
>   >
>   > Thanks for the "splaining"....
>   >
>   > Anthony
The
>   cream rises to the top of the list.
>   >
>   >   Is this optimizing?  Could be, by some definitions.  If all
the
>   odds are even money, who would you prefer to bet on:  Chicago or
>   Kansas City?  KC is undefeated and Chicago couldn't beat the
local
>   high school.  My money is on KC.
>   >
>   >   The stock betting setup is not handicapped (like almost all
>   games).  This is basically a even money play (with subtractions
for
>   commission and slippage...juice/vigorish).  If you have 9,000
issues
>   to play, why won't someone want to bet on the strongest
performance?
>   >
>   >   I know that the explanation might be over simplified...but,
the
>   people who know me, in and out of this forum, know that this is
the
>   way I do it.  I'm not crusading for anything.  This works.  I've
>   presented this simplistic approach publicly to large groups and
in a
>   number of internet seminars. It continues to crank out
extraordinary
>   profits.
>   >
>   >   Please let me know if the paragraphs help to explain the
ranking.
>   >
>   >   Take care,
>   >
>   >   Steve
>   >
>   >
by
>   measuring raw past growth trading that indicator? other measures?
>   >
>   >     thanks again,
>   >
>   >     dave
>   >       just for my understanding, in what sense is this
>   system "robust"?
>   >
>   >       Well, first, this was presented to the public in the late
>   90's, at a series of seminars that I conducted for Equis.  Same
>   indicator, same triggers, same everything.  This robust "thing"
is a
>   tough one to define.  I'll try to explain what's important to me,
>   but, it's very subjective and just one person's opinion.
>   >
>   >       is it because results are similar with different similar
>   periods and thresholds?
>   >
>   >       If you take this CMO5 indicator and step down in time (5,
10,
>   60 minutes), you need to widen the triggers to obtain decent
>   results.  Other than that, it trades through time-zones with very
>   good results.
>   >
>   >       that seems unlikely, since there isn't very far to go
from 5
>   to hit 1 and 0, which I'd guess are significantly different. what
>   sort of testing led you to decide on this period and threshold,
and
>   this system for that matter?
>   >
>   >       If you're referring to the CMO5...I first started testing
it
>   six years ago.  I've tested and eyeballed every version of
CMO(x).
>   I've created a few indicators that combines different periods of
the
>   CMO.  For my money, for my style, this judge of momentum trades
more
>   things, more accurately than any other indicator I am aware of.
As I
>   have begged many times:  give me something better...I'll use it
>   instead of this.
>   >
>   >       is it robust because it works well on many stocks,
>   and funds over a long period of time?
>   >
>   >       Yes, it works well on many stocks and indexes.  I don't
trade
>   funds, but, some fund managers, DTG members, use versions of the
CMO
> [...]
>   >
>   >       Optimization leads to dark and spooky places.  Ranking
leads
>   you down the yellow brick road.
>   >
>   >       Take care,
>   >
>   >       Steve
>   >
>   >         steve, thanks for sharing this (again).
>   >
>   >
>   >         just for my understanding, in what sense is this
>   system "robust"?
>   >
>   >         is it because results are similar with different
similar
>   periods and thresholds? that seems unlikely, since there isn't
very
>   far to go from 5 to hit 1 and 0, which I'd guess are
significantly
>   different. what sort of testing led you to decide on this period
and
>   threshold, and this system for that matter?
>   >
>   >         is it robust because it works well on many stocks,
>   and funds over a long period of time?
>   >
>   >         because of the concepts behind the indicator itself?
>   >
>   >         something else?
>   >
>   >
>   >         I'm not disputing the system's value, which I haven't
>   tested yet. I'm trying to understand what kind of process you go
>   through to settle on a system and settings.
>   >
>   >         thanks,
>   >
>   >         dave
>   >
>   >           1.  This exact system was presented over a year ago
at
>   this forum
>   >           2.  The charts are OOS (since, it's been posted
publicly
>   forever)
>   >           3.  Rules are simple:  Buy the opening of the next
day
>   when the CMO5 closes below -34 and sell when it triggers above 34.
>   >
>   >           Works on most issues (raw).  Works better if:
>   >
>   >           a.  You take trades only with the trend
>   >           b.  You protect yourself from large drawdowns (stop)
>   >           c.  You conjure a profit target (limit)
>   >           d.  You put in a time stop
>   >
>   >           This is the guts of an indicator and a logical
systematic
>   approach.  Whistles and bells are optional (but, in my opinion
>   necessary).  Again, if you start with a pig, the prom dress
doesn't
>   make it look any better.  Don't hang ornaments on a twisted
Christmas
>   tree.
>   >
>   >
>   >     Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
>   >     Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx
>   >     -----------------------------------------
>   >     Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to:
>   amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   >     --------------------------------------------
>   >     Check group FAQ at:
>   >
>   >     Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>   Service.
>   >
>   >
>   >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   Send BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx
>   >   Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx
>   >   -----------------------------------------
>   >   Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to: am
iquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   >   --------------------------------------------
>   >   Check group FAQ at:
>   >
>   >   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>   Service.
>   >
>   >
>   >   ---