RE: [amibroker] Re: Robustivity

Sorry,
after I sent it I realised that you might think I was talking about
you.   I wasn't.   So, that means I must have been talking
about someone else.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Phsst
  [mailto:phsst@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 2:37
  AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  RobustivityWhat's your meaning
  Chuck?Phsst--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck
  Rademacher"<chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:> hhmm....
  interesting.   Same style of writing and same ISP as....no,
  must> be coincidence.>   -----Original
  Message----->   From: Phsst
  [mailto:phsst@xxxx]>   Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 1:55
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: Robustivity> > >
  >A waterfall drop in this stock this last week and a lot
  of>   divergences. Most systems will most likely fail! Take
  your 315 trading>   days and see the results are any good.
  >> >   Joe,> >   Instead of
  anticipating why "most other systems" would have failed on>
  NTES, why don't you tell us how your system picked up on this
  great>   opportunity. That might be a little more productive,
  don't you think> >   Phsst> > >
  >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe"
  <run_for_your_life2003@xxxx>>
  wrote:>   > NTES is a good example to "test your system"
  to see how robust your>   > system really can function. A
  waterfall drop in this stock this last>   > week and a lot
  of divergences.>   > Most systems will most likely fail!
  Take your 315 trading days and>   > see the results are
  any good.>   >>   > I just went "long"
  today on this stock...my system gave me a "buy".>   > I
  learnt to follow it regardless how much of a drop a stock
  candrop.>   >>
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Anthony Faragasso"
  <ajf1111@xxxx>>   > wrote:>   >
  > Steve,>   > >>   > > Thanks
  for the "splaining"....>   > >>   >
  > Anthony>   > >   ----- Original Message
  ----->   > >   From:
  CedarCreekTrading>   > >   To:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>   > >   Sent:
  Friday, October 31, 2003 12:09 PM>   > >
  Subject: Re: [amibroker] Robustivity>   >
  >>   > >>   > >
  am I missing something?>   > >>   >
  >   Dave,>   > >>   >
  >   Sometimes it's tough to address issues and provide the
  specifics>   > that folks are seeking.  So, I will
  try to "splain" it better.>   > >>
  > >   If I am using the CMO5 with triggers of 34/-34, I would
  go back>   > and start a test to evaluate this system and
  triggers.  The starting>   > period would be whatever
  date you pick (1990, '97, 2000, etc.).>   >
  >>   > >   Next, I run the test over 315
  trading days (this period gives me>   > results for
  approximately one year..it takes "x" amount ofperiods
  to>   > load the TRIX(21), which I use as a trend
  identifier.  My approach>   > produces about 10 to 15
  round turn trades a year... in each stock.>   >
  >>   > >   I then rank all issues by one
  criteria:  percent return per day>   > (while the
  money is in the market).  If you only consider
  thepercent>   > per day contributions, I think you
  will find that all other "book>   > learned" ratios come
  out just fine.  Numbers lie.  Would you rather>
  > trade a $100 stock that returns $20 or a $20 stock that returns
  $10?>   > Percent per goes a long way to normalizing the
  comparisons.>   > >>   >
  >   I pick the 20 best percent per day stocks and trade them for
  the>   > next quarter.  At the end of the quarter, I
  reevaluate thepercentage>   > per day contributions
  and reshuffle the issues in play, ifnecessary.>   >
  >>   > >   Symtems don't go bad, stocks
  and commodities go bad.  Going bad>   > is best
  defined by a change in the pattern of supply and
  demand.The>   > cream rises to the top of the
  list.>   > >>   > >
  Is this optimizing?  Could be, by some definitions.  If all
  the>   > odds are even money, who would you prefer to bet
  on:  Chicago or>   > Kansas City?  KC is
  undefeated and Chicago couldn't beat the local>   > high
  school.  My money is on KC.>   >
  >>   > >   The stock betting setup is not
  handicapped (like almost all>   > games).  This is
  basically a even money play (with subtractions for>   >
  commission and slippage...juice/vigorish).  If you have 9,000
  issues>   > to play, why won't someone want to bet on the
  strongest performance?>   > >>   >
  >   I know that the explanation might be over simplified...but,
  the>   > people who know me, in and out of this forum,
  know that this is the>   > way I do it.  I'm not
  crusading for anything.  This works.  I've>   >
  presented this simplistic approach publicly to large groups and in
  a>   > number of internet seminars. It continues to crank
  out extraordinary>   > profits.>   >
  >>   > >   Please let me know if the
  paragraphs help to explain theranking.>   >
  >>   > >   Take care,>
  > >>   > >   Steve>
  > >>   > >>   >
  [amibroker] Robustivity>   > >>   >
  >>   > >     steve, thanks for
  your response.>   > >>   >
  >     from your msg subject and the way you presented
  this system, I>   > thought you were offering it as an
  example of one you hadobjectively>   > evaluated and
  determined to be robust. I was interested in how you>   >
  thought "robustivity" should be evaluated, since you seemed to
  be>   > contrasting your approach to walkforward
  optimization and thevarious>   > other system measures
  people were talking about.>   > >>
  > >     what I'm hearing in your response below
  isn't what I would>   > describe as a specific method for
  distinguishing accidentally>   > gorgeous backtest results
  from robustness. you do mention testing>   > also at
  faster time frames, which isn't a technique that's been>
  > mentioned recently. but mostly, the robustness label here seems
  to>   > come from your integration of various aspects of
  your longexperience>   > with it, like your visual
  sense of how it behaves. am I missing>   >
  something?>   > >>   >
  >     another question: you mention issue selection,
  the idea of>   > looking for stocks you think will trade
  well with a particular>   > indicator, rather than the
  other way around. how do you do that? by>   > measuring
  raw past growth trading that indicator? other measures?>
  > >>   > >     thanks
  again,>   > >>   >
  >     dave>   >
  >       just for my understanding, in what
  sense is this>   > system "robust"?>
  > >>   > >
  Well, first, this was presented to the public in the late>
  > 90's, at a series of seminars that I conducted for Equis.
  Same>   > indicator, same triggers, same everything.
  This robust "thing" is a>   > tough one to define.
  I'll try to explain what's important to me,>   > but, it's
  very subjective and just one person's opinion.>   >
  >>   > >       is it
  because results are similar with different similar>   >
  periods and thresholds?>   > >>   >
  >       If you take this CMO5 indicator and
  step down in time(5, 10,>   > 60 minutes), you need to
  widen the triggers to obtain decent>   > results.
  Other than that, it trades through time-zones with very>
  > good results.>   > >>   >
  >       that seems unlikely, since there
  isn't very far to go from 5>   > to hit 1 and 0, which I'd
  guess are significantly different. what>   > sort of
  testing led you to decide on this period and threshold,
  and>   > this system for that matter?>
  > >>   > >       If
  you're referring to the CMO5...I first started testing it>
  > six years ago.  I've tested and eyeballed every version of
  CMO(x).>   > I've created a few indicators that combines
  different periods of the>   > CMO.  For my money, for
  my style, this judge of momentum trades more>   > things,
  more accurately than any other indicator I am aware of.As
  I>   > have begged many times:  give me something
  better...I'll use it>   > instead of
  this.>   > >>   >
  >       is it robust because it works well on
  many stocks, indexes>   > and funds over a long period of
  time?>   > >>   >
  >       Yes, it works well on many stocks and
  indexes.  I don'ttrade>   > funds, but, some fund
  managers, DTG members, use versions of the CMO>   > to aid
  their timing.>   > >>   >
  >       because of the concepts behind the
  indicator itself?>   > >>   >
  >       I process visually.  The math is
  beyond me.  My bottom line>   > has always been the
  same:  give me an indicator that is smooth, yet>   >
  sensitive to intermediate and major market turns.  After
  gawking>   > hundreds of charts, everyday, for the last
  six years, I'm amazed at>   > how this indicator
  quantifies momentum.  I like versions of the>   >
  Stochastic RSI and the Standard Error Oscillator, but dollar
  for>   > dollar, the CMO does it for
  me.>   > >>   >
  >       something else?>
  > >>   > >       I
  think there's a few other things to mention.  First
  ofall,>   > the ETF's that I showed were chosen
  because they represent a broad>   > range of stocks and
  are popular trading instruments.  Do I suggest>   >
  trading these issues with this system?  No way.  The CMO5 trades
  a>   > lot of other issues with better results than the
  ETF's.  I always>   > allow the issues "to pick
  themselves".  Trade the issues that return>   > the
  greatest percentages in a stable system.>   >
  >>   > >       In it's
  stripped down version, as presented, the CMO5 is an>   >
  indicator that can return steady profits (see equity lines) in
  it's>   > rawest unoptimized form.  Is that
  robust?>   > >>   >
  >       Robustness and
  optimizing/over-optimizing arefascinating and>   >
  misunderstood subjects.  Over the years, I've constantly
  simplified>   > my approaches.  I can improve on the
  results of the three ETF's by>   > simply "tweaking" the
  trigger levels.  But, will it walk forward>   >
  better than the default triggers of 34/-34?  At least what
  I>   > presented was out of sample.>
  > >>   > >       If
  an approach does a good job of identifying movement of>
  > supply and demand, the approach should not be expected to workon
  all>   > issues.  To say a system needs to work on
  all  issues is total>   > crap.   To say
  that a system sucks because it doesn't work on XYZ is>   >
  another large pile.  Build simple things and concentrate on
  issue>   > selection.>   >
  >>   > >
  Optimization leads to dark and spooky places.  Ranking
  leads>   > you down the yellow brick
  road.>   > >>   >
  >       Take care,>   >
  >>   > >
  Steve>   > >>   >
  >         steve, thanks for sharing
  this (again).>   > >>   >
  >>   >
  >         just for my
  understanding, in what sense is this>   > system
  "robust"?>   > >>   >
  >         is it because results are
  similar with different similar>   > periods and
  thresholds? that seems unlikely, since there isn't very>
  > far to go from 5 to hit 1 and 0, which I'd guess are
  significantly>   > different. what sort of testing led you
  to decide on this period and>   > threshold, and this
  system for that matter?>   > >>   >
  >         is it robust because it
  works well on many stocks, indexes>   > and funds over a
  long period of time?>   > >>   >
  >         because of the concepts
  behind the indicator itself?>   > >>
  > >         something
  else?>   > >>   >
  >>   >
  >         I'm not disputing the
  system's value, which I haven't>   > tested yet. I'm
  trying to understand what kind of process you go>   >
  through to settle on a system and settings.>   >
  >>   >

  thanks,>   > >>   >
  >         dave>
  > >>   >
  >           1.  This
  exact system was presented over a year ago at>   > this
  forum>   >
  >           2.  The
  charts are OOS (since, it's been posted publicly>   >
  forever)>   >
  >           3.
  Rules are simple:  Buy the opening of the next day>
  > when the CMO5 closes below -34 and sell when it triggers above
  34.>   > >>   >
  >           Works on most
  issues (raw).  Works better if:>   >
  >>   >
  >           a.  You
  take trades only with the trend>   >
  >           b.  You
  protect yourself from large drawdowns (stop)>   >
  >           c.  You
  conjure a profit target (limit)>   >
  >           d.  You
  put in a time stop>   > >>   >
  >           This is the
  guts of an indicator and a logicalsystematic>   >
  approach.  Whistles and bells are optional (but, in my
  opinion>   > necessary).  Again, if you start with a
  pig, the prom dress doesn't>   > make it look any
  better.  Don't hang ornaments on a
  twistedChristmas>   > tree.>   >
  suggest@xxxx>   > >
  > >>   > >     Your use of
  Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of>   >
  Service.>   > >>   >
  >>   >
  >         Yahoo! Groups
  Sponsor>   >