RE: [amibroker] Re: Robustivity

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>hhmm.... interesting.   Same style of writing and same ISP
as.... no, must be coincidence.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Phsst
  [mailto:phsst@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 1:55
  AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
  Robustivity>A waterfall drop in this stock this
  last week and a lot ofdivergences. Most systems will most likely fail!
  Take your 315 tradingdays and see the results are any good.
  >Joe,Instead of anticipating why "most other systems" would
  have failed onNTES, why don't you tell us how your system picked up on
  this greatopportunity. That might be a little more productive, don't you
  thinkPhsst--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Joe"
  <run_for_your_life2003@xxxx>wrote:> NTES is a good example to
  "test your system" to see how robust your > system really can function.
  A waterfall drop in this stock this last > week and a lot of
  divergences. > Most systems will most likely fail! Take your 315
  trading days and > see the results are any good.> > I
  just went "long" today on this stock...my system gave me a "buy".> I
  learnt to follow it regardless how much of a drop a stock can drop.>
  Faragasso" <ajf1111@xxxx> > wrote:> > Steve,>
  > > > Thanks for the "splaining"....> > > >
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > >   Sent: Friday, October 31,
  2003 12:09 PM> >   Subject: Re: [amibroker]
  Robustivity> > > > > >   am I missing
  something?> > > >   Dave,> > >
  >   Sometimes it's tough to address issues and provide the
  specifics > that folks are seeking.  So, I will try to "splain" it
  better.  > > > >   If I am using the CMO5
  with triggers of 34/-34, I would go back > and start a test to evaluate
  this system and triggers.  The starting > period would be whatever
  date you pick (1990, '97, 2000, etc.).  > > >
  >   Next, I run the test over 315 trading days (this period gives
  me > results for approximately one year..it takes "x" amount of periods
  to > load the TRIX(21), which I use as a trend identifier.  My
  approach > produces about 10 to 15 round turn trades a year... in each
  stock.  > > > >   I then rank all issues by
  one criteria:  percent return per day > (while the money is in the
  market).  If you only consider the percent > per day
  contributions, I think you will find that all other "book > learned"
  ratios come out just fine.  Numbers lie.  Would you rather >
  trade a $100 stock that returns $20 or a $20 stock that returns $10?
  > Percent per goes a long way to normalizing the comparisons.>
  > > >   I pick the 20 best percent per day stocks and
  trade them for the > next quarter.  At the end of the quarter, I
  reevaluate the percentage > per day contributions and reshuffle the
  issues in play, if necessary.> > > >   Symtems
  don't go bad, stocks and commodities go bad.  Going bad > is best
  defined by a change in the pattern of supply and demand.  The >
  cream rises to the top of the list.    > > >
  >   Is this optimizing?  Could be, by some
  definitions.  If all the > odds are even money, who would you
  prefer to bet on:  Chicago or > Kansas City?  KC is
  undefeated and Chicago couldn't beat the local > high school.  My
  money is on KC.> > > >   The stock betting setup
  is not handicapped (like almost all > games).  This is basically a
  even money play (with subtractions for > commission and
  slippage...juice/vigorish).  If you have 9,000 issues > to play,
  why won't someone want to bet on the strongest performance?> >
  > >   I know that the explanation might be over
  simplified...but, the > people who know me, in and out of this forum,
  know that this is the > way I do it.  I'm not crusading for
  anything.  This works.  I've > presented this simplistic
  approach publicly to large groups and in a > number of internet
  seminars. It continues to crank out extraordinary > profits. >
  > > >   Please let me know if the paragraphs help to
  explain the ranking.> > > >   Take care,>
  > > >   Steve> > > > >
  response.> > > >     from your msg
  subject and the way you presented this system, I > thought you were
  offering it as an example of one you had objectively > evaluated and
  determined to be robust. I was interested in how you > thought
  "robustivity" should be evaluated, since you seemed to be > contrasting
  your approach to walkforward optimization and the various > other
  system measures people were talking about.> > >
  >     what I'm hearing in your response below isn't
  what I would > describe as a specific method for distinguishing
  accidentally > gorgeous backtest results from robustness. you do
  mention testing > also at faster time frames, which isn't a technique
  that's been > mentioned recently. but mostly, the robustness label here
  seems to > come from your integration of various aspects of your long
  experience > with it, like your visual sense of how it behaves. am I
  missing > something?> > > >
  another question: you mention issue selection, the idea of > looking
  for stocks you think will trade well with a particular > indicator,
  rather than the other way around. how do you do that? by > measuring
  raw past growth trading that indicator? other measures?> > >
  >     thanks again,> > >
  >     dave>
  >       just for my understanding, in what
  sense is this > system "robust"? > > >
  >       Well, first, this was presented to
  the public in the late > 90's, at a series of seminars that I conducted
  for Equis.  Same > indicator, same triggers, same
  everything.  This robust "thing" is a > tough one to define.
  I'll try to explain what's important to me, > but, it's very subjective
  and just one person's opinion.  > > >
  >       is it because results are similar
  with different similar > periods and thresholds?> > >
  >       If you take this CMO5 indicator and
  step down in time (5, 10, > 60 minutes), you need to widen the triggers
  to obtain decent > results.  Other than that, it trades through
  time-zones with very > good results.> > >
  >       that seems unlikely, since there
  isn't very far to go from 5 > to hit 1 and 0, which I'd guess are
  significantly different. what > sort of testing led you to decide on
  this period and threshold, and > this system for that matter?>
  > > >       If you're referring to
  the CMO5...I first started testing it > six years ago.  I've
  tested and eyeballed every version of CMO(x).  > I've created a
  few indicators that combines different periods of the > CMO.  For
  my money, for my style, this judge of momentum trades more > things,
  more accurately than any other indicator I am aware of.  As I >
  have begged many times:  give me something better...I'll use it >
  instead of this.> > >
  >       is it robust because it works well on
  many stocks, indexes > and funds over a long period of time? >
  > > >       Yes, it works well on
  many stocks and indexes.  I don't trade > funds, but, some fund
  managers, DTG members, use versions of the CMO > to aid their
  timing.  > > > >
  because of the concepts behind the indicator itself?> > >
  >       I process visually.  The math is
  beyond me.  My bottom line > has always been the same:  give
  me an indicator that is smooth, yet > sensitive to intermediate and
  major market turns.  After gawking > hundreds of charts, everyday,
  for the last six years, I'm amazed at > how this indicator quantifies
  momentum.  I like versions of the > Stochastic RSI and the
  Standard Error Oscillator, but dollar for > dollar, the CMO does it for
  me.> > > >       something
  else?> > > >       I think
  there's a few other things to mention.  First of all, > the ETF's
  that I showed were chosen because they represent a broad > range of
  stocks and are popular trading instruments.  Do I suggest >
  trading these issues with this system?  No way.  The CMO5 trades a
  > lot of other issues with better results than the ETF's.  I
  always > allow the issues "to pick themselves".  Trade the issues
  that return > the greatest percentages in a stable system.
  stripped down version, as presented, the CMO5 is an > indicator that
  can return steady profits (see equity lines) in it's > rawest
  unoptimized form.  Is that robust?  > > >
  >       Robustness and
  optimizing/over-optimizing are fascinating and > misunderstood
  subjects.  Over the years, I've constantly simplified > my
  approaches.  I can improve on the results of the three ETF's by >
  simply "tweaking" the trigger levels.  But, will it walk forward >
  better than the default triggers of 34/-34?  At least what I >
  presented was out of sample.  > > >
  >       If an approach does a good job of
  identifying movement of > supply and demand, the approach should not be
  expected to work on all > issues.  To say a system needs to work
  on all  issues is total > crap.   To say that a system
  sucks because it doesn't work on XYZ is > another large pile.
  Build simple things and concentrate on issue > selection.> >
  > >       Optimization leads to dark
  and spooky places.  Ranking leads > you down the yellow brick
  road.> > > >       Take
  care,> > > >

  >         steve, thanks for sharing
  this (again).> > > > >
  >         just for my
  understanding, in what sense is this > system "robust"? > >
  > >         is it because
  results are similar with different similar > periods and thresholds?
  that seems unlikely, since there isn't very > far to go from 5 to hit 1
  and 0, which I'd guess are significantly > different. what sort of
  testing led you to decide on this period and > threshold, and this
  system for that matter?> > >
  >         is it robust because it
  works well on many stocks, indexes > and funds over a long period of
  time? > > >
  >         because of the concepts
  behind the indicator itself?> > >
  >         something else?>
  > > > >
  >         I'm not disputing the
  system's value, which I haven't > tested yet. I'm trying to understand
  what kind of process you go > through to settle on a system and
  settings.> > >
  >         thanks,> >
  > >         dave>

  1.  This exact system was presented over a year ago at > this
  forum> >
  2.  The charts are OOS (since, it's been posted publicly >
  forever)>
  >           3.
  Rules are simple:  Buy the opening of the next day > when the CMO5
  closes below -34 and sell when it triggers above 34.> > >
  >           Works on most
  issues (raw).  Works better if:  > > >
  >           a.  You
  take trades only with the trend>
  >           b.  You
  protect yourself from large drawdowns (stop)>
  >           c.  You
  conjure a profit target (limit)>
  >           d.  You
  put in a time stop > > >
  >           This is the
  guts of an indicator and a logical systematic > approach.
  Whistles and bells are optional (but, in my opinion > necessary).
  Again, if you start with a pig, the prom dress doesn't > make it look
  any better.  Don't hang ornaments on a twisted Christmas >
  tree.> > > > > >     Send
  BUG REPORTS to bugs@xxxx> >     Send SUGGESTIONS
  to suggest@xxxx> >
  is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of > Service. > > >
  > > >         Yahoo!
  Groups Sponsor >

  ADVERTISEMENT>

  > >        >