RE: [amibroker] Profit Prediction Was: Auto-optimization AFL uploaded

<BLOCKQUOTE

  <SPAN
  >Isn&#8217;t there some
  aspect of past performance (results) that can &#8220;persist&#8221; for some time.
  That is to say, that a stock or mutual fund that is profitable for awhile (esp
  from a backtest or ranking perspective) does not and probably will not remain
  profitable &#8220;forever&#8221;.  However, it can and does remain a good performer
  for some period.<FONT face="Courier New"
  color=#0000ff>
<SPAN
><SPAN
class=910545203-30102003>you'd think so,
wouldn't you? what's the point of backtesting anything ever, if the future can't
be at least kind of, sort of, approximately, semi-fake-estimated from what
happened in the past?
<SPAN
><SPAN
class=910545203-30102003><FONT face="Courier New"
color=#0000ff>
<SPAN
><SPAN
class=910545203-30102003>but I kept
hearing things like "CCI(something)", and "MA(this) cross MA(that)", with some
single test and/or optimization period to back it up. people didn't usually talk
about optimizing over one time period, then testing with those optimal settings
for a while *after* that, then optimizing again later, etc.. the general vibe
was that this strategy and settings were and had been somehow golden for
forever. (of course I'm exaggerating; these are smart, unpretentious people, but
the underlying logic still seemed like that to me.) when I optimized some
of those same things myself, over different time periods, I concluded that
what you'd recommend depended to a huge degree on what dates you looked at.
that's one of the main reasons why I wrote this, to automate optimization over a
bunch of time periods, and see if things stayed constant and/or profitable.
neither.
<SPAN
><SPAN
class=910545203-30102003><FONT face="Courier New"
color=#0000ff>
<SPAN
><SPAN
class=910545203-30102003><FONT face="Courier New"
color=#0000ff>sowhattheheck.
<SPAN
><SPAN
class=910545203-30102003>
<BLOCKQUOTE

  <SPAN
  >What parameter(s)
  measure this?  It probably changes over time but it seems a combination
  of return along with absence of large volatility is a key measure.  The
  UPI or UI or even CAR/Mdd seems like it captures more than just raw
  return.  While this seems more true for mutual funds (actively managed
  ones at that), it can also be true for certain stocks in certain
  industries.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Just rambling out
  loud&#8230;.I have not had time to try your system----can it optimize against
  CAR/Mdd? for example?
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Ken<SPAN
  class=910545203-30102003><FONT face="Courier New"
  color=#0000ff>
<SPAN
><SPAN
class=910545203-30102003>as shipped, the
framework comes with two metrics to choose from, profit per bar, and net bars on
the right side of the market per bar, meaning basically
this:
<SPAN
><SPAN
class=910545203-30102003>  ((bars
long and rising + bars short and falling) - (bars long and falling + bars
short and rising)) / number of bars
<SPAN
><SPAN
class=910545203-30102003><FONT face="Courier New"
color=#0000ff>
<SPAN
><SPAN
class=910545203-30102003>both metrics can
penalize the score by a selectable percentage of max drawdown. for instance, at
zero penalty, MDD doesn't effect the score; at 50%, 20% MDD reduces the score by
10%; at 100%, by 20%.
<SPAN
><SPAN
class=910545203-30102003><FONT face="Courier New"
color=#0000ff>
<SPAN
><SPAN
class=910545203-30102003>you can also add
your own metrics, AND OBVIOUSLY YOU SHOULD, because neither of these are that
great, or none of the trading rules tested are, or something. another one I've
thought of is some kind of measure of the smoothness of the equity curve, which
is MDD is a crude look at. many of the standard metrics are something of a
pain to code on the results of the Equity function. hopefully, at some point
tomasz will give us AB's full suite of report metrics, as functions that work
off Equity.if you haven't check the framework out yet, I'd suggest waiting for
the new-and-improved v1.1, due out soon.
<SPAN
><SPAN
class=910545203-30102003><FONT face="Courier New"
color=#0000ff>
<SPAN
><SPAN
class=910545203-30102003><FONT face="Courier New"
color=#0000ff>dave