RE: [amibroker] optimization

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Howard,
Ed was
probably referring to Nelder and Mead's search algorithm, which is one of
the better quick and dirty approaches--C code is <SPAN
class=963372215-29102003>given in
'Numerical Recipes in C'.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Bob

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Howard Bandy
  [mailto:howardbandy@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 8:12
  PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: RE: [amibroker]
  optimization

  <SPAN
  >Hi Ed and Dave
  &#8211;
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >I don&#8217;t think the
  simplex method is applicable in this case.  Its use is to solve linear
  programming problems by moving along the edge of the convex space defined by
  the constraining inequalities.  If we had a well formed set of
  inequalities, and if we knew the space they defined was convex, and if we knew
  the optimal solution was at one of the vertices, then we might try to simplify
  the parameter search using the simplex method or something similar.
  Unfortunately, none of those three ifs are satisfied for our model development
  problem.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >I am in the process
  of designing and programming a genetic search routine (as a dll plugin) that
  will look throughout the search space by itself and keep track of the best
  solutions found.  It avoids the problem of setting up a x by y by z
  optimization that steps through all the possibilities in order.  I plan
  to be able to specify any optimization complexity, start the processing using
  any reasonable values for the optimization variables, and let the search run
  by itself.  When it times out, counts out, or is interrupted, a list of
  the best solutions is available for further testing.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >When I get it
  working, and if it looks promising, I&#8217;ll share the code.  But don&#8217;t hold
  your breath.
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >Howard
  <SPAN

  <SPAN

  <SPAN

  <DIV

  <SPAN
  Message-----From: Dave
  Merrill [mailto:dmerrill@xxxxxxx] <SPAN
  >Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 1:29
  PMTo:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<SPAN
  >Subject: RE: [amibroker]
  optimization
  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >hadn't heard
  of it before, but found some articles describing it. sounds like you're more
  familiar than I am with this kind of thing, but if it's helpful,
  try:

  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  ><A
  href="">http://flash.lakeheadu.ca/~kliu/simplex.htm

  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >clearly
  you're right that reducing the number of combinations tried would improve
  processing time. I'm particularly interested in this because my
  auto-optimization framework needs to do this independently for each
  ticker.

  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >I don't have
  the time to code this reference up in AFL, and probably not the math expertise
  either. if you do it, please let me know, and I'll look into adding it to the
  auto-optimize thing.

  <SPAN

  <SPAN
  >dave

  <SPAN

  <BLOCKQUOTE

    <SPAN
    >Since I am playing with the Optimization function
    right now I was <SPAN
    ><FONT
    face="Courier New">wondering the following. If you optimize a set op
    parameters simultaneously than
    the Optimization procedure calculates all <FONT
    face="Courier New">possible combinations of variables. There are a number of
    techniques that avoid this e.g.
    the simplex method. Did
    anyone work on such a function?<FONT
    face="Courier New">regards, Ed
  <SPAN
  ><FONT
  face="Courier New" size=2>Send BUG REPORTS to
  bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<SPAN
  ><FONT
  face="Courier New">Send SUGGESTIONS to
  suggest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<FONT
  face="Courier New">-----------------------------------------<FONT
  face="Courier New">Post AmiQuote-related messages ONLY to:
  amiquote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Web
  page: <A
  href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amiquote/messages/)<FONT
  face="Courier New">Check group FAQ at: <A
  Your
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of
  Service.
  Send