[amibroker] Re: grail-less team (WAS: QQQ Trendline Support again)

Phsst,

Thanks. Yeah I didn't mean to address the questions to "guru" as you
defined it. I meant to address it to knowledgeable pro traders... I'm
least interested in the self promoting types. Sorry for the
confusion. Now I know why Fred said "(thank G)" ... :-)

As for rest of the stuff, yeah good advice. Also, if anyone else has
any advice on this but not comfortable responding on the forum,
please consider sending me a mail, if that's ok.

Thanks in advance.

Jitu

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Phsst" <phsst@xxxx> wrote:
> Jitu,
>
> I'm a little more comfortable replying to your 2nd post than to your
> 1st post <g>.
>
> To me, a guru <aka gooroo> is a self-promoting marketer who needs to
> build a reputation as a trader for marketing revenue purposes rather
> than actual trading revenue purposes. You may correctly assume that
> do not place a high value in GooRoo proclaimations.
>
> But the above probably doesn't address your real question.
>
> Your 2nd post suggests that what you are really interested in is
> making a career change into the trading arena rather than learning
> about others successes, I would suggest that you communicate
directly
> with Chuck Rademacher or Howard Bandy.  Both of these guys have been
> in the business for awhile and might be able to point you in the
right
> direction. Also, Steve Kernish (CedarCreekTrading) seems to be
fairly
> well connected and might be able to give you some pointers.
>
> If, as you say, you are comfortable with your own research so-far,
> then you should be able to market your skills to main-line hedge-
fund
> managers, successful specialty investment firms, etc.
>
> Since you use a yahoo mail address, I don't know where you actually
> reside, but you might have special market knowledge of a specific
> global location that might be of value to global investment firms.
And
> since you are a computer professional, geographic location is
probably
> not much of an issue in your search for a career change since you
> could use telecommunications to bridge any geographic issues.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Phsst
>

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jtelang" <jtelang@xxxx> wrote:
> > > I'm certainly no "guru" ( thank G ) and I'm not sure I even
qualify
> > > as a pro trader
> >
> > Fred, you're too modest.
> >
> > One followup question... In retrospect, do you think there's any
> > better/shorter way of going about it (initial learning curve and
> > career jump, I mean)? I'm asking wrt to becoming a CTA, for
> > example... Or taking a few of those Series 5, etc. exams and
seeking
> > a trading job? From what I understand, its not easy to get into a
> > trading job if its not one's career path to start with early in
life.

> > Anyone has any thoughts on that? I'm just curious to know what
more
> > options are available to one, other than trading on your own to
make
> > it a primary career, if one wants to attempt a switch-a-roo? I
myself
> > am fairly comfortable with my own research and results so far
(within
> > the grail-less zone, of course), and also sure I'll do fairly
well in
> > the coming years, but I'm wondering if I could accelerate the
process
> > by just switching the career some other way.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Jitu
> >
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred" <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:
> > > I'm certainly no "guru" ( thank G ) and I'm not sure I even
qualify
> > > as a pro trader, but I think once ones trading starts to
produce
> > more
> > > income then ones job/career then one begins to look at it
> > > differently.  As far as hurdles go, the biggest one I know of
is
> > that
> > > it's more about what one keeps then what one makes.  This seems
> > > straight-forward enough but I can tell you that looking at
MaxDD's
> > in
> > > a system report is nothing like feeling them in your account.
The
> > > danger in system development, followed by the trading of those
> > > systems, assuming that one has done due diligence to ensure
that
> > the
> > > techniques one has come up with are viable going forward, is
not to
> > > be surprised if you have DD's that at least approach what your
> > system
> > > has demonstrated in backtesting.  A general rule of thumb I use
in
> > > determining whether or not I'll actually trade a particluar
> > > mechanical system is to look at the stats and take half the CAR
and
> > > twice the DD's and if I can still stomach the results then
maybe,
> > > just maybe I've found something tradable.
> > >
> > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jtelang" <jtelang@xxxx>

> > career
It'd
> > > be