Objective functions (was RE: [amibroker] Re: Optimization -- again)

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jtelang" <jtelang@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi Pal,
>
> Couple of questions re. Larry if you don't mind...
>
> 1. Have you ever been taught by him, via books or seminars?
> 2. If yes, have you made significant profits from the things he
> taught?
>
> Jitu

Jitu,

Larry Williams stated that "Walk Forward Tested System is Better
than the Best Optimized One".

I agree with this completely, to the effect that I recently dropped
over 120 optimized/re-optimized(every 4 days) systems.  I arrived at
a set of parameters and algorithm based on logic, experience and
sound trading principles that will never be subject to change.  I
then verified the detected signals with a few OB/OS conditions and
then use a time window (10 days) to search for a buy/sell signal.  I
then interpret the signal as to whether it is a breakout or trend-
change pullback to aid me in placing the limits on my order (only
for reversal signals not continuation signals).  I do optimized my
entry points (MOO or Low Of Day/High Of Day) depending on the
strength of the signal.  As I perfect my system more, I do not even
have to do this optimization of entry points...

My position sizing methodology is even more simple:
Available_Equity = 0.42*Usable_Margin.  Then I divide the
Available_Equity equally among the positions I intend to trade
(diversification).  I use an even more simple stopping methodology:
3BSMA for the next session after entry.  No stops on day of entry.
I do use a mental stop which is about 1 full point above/below entry
only on the day of entry.

Return so far, 57.9% in 4 days of real-time trading (walk-forward
test).  This is with 100:1 levearage.  It could have been more, if I
had not been prematurely limited out.  So I modified my trades not
to have limits for trending markets and instead wait for a reversing
signal or get stopped out by the 3BSMA stop.

Bottomline is I threw out optimization/re-optimization of Entry/Exit
Trading Signal Systems out of the window, just as Larry Williams
advised and he is the only one who advised me that....

Regards,

Pal

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "palsanand" <palsanand@xxxx>
wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Many recent contributions suggest using discipline, commitment,
> > trading skills, etc., rather than 100% mechanical systems. I
think
> > this will cause more losers than winners.
> >
> > The reason computer trading systems exist is to capture good
ideas
> > and determine the best way to apply them. Basically, any idea
one
> > uses can be automated and tested. Various filters and stops can
> often
> > improve a system's 10-yr performance even after it's released.
> > Otherwise, one may lose their skill or luck in selecting trades.
> >
> > In Jack Schwager books (The Market Wizards and the The New
Market
> > Wizards), the author writes about Ed Seykota, who multiplied his
> > clients accounts by 2500 times (250,000%) in about 10 years.
Then
> > there's Michael Marcus, who parlayed a $30,000 initial stake
into
> $80
> > Million.  Another famous trader not included in Jack Schwager's
> books
> > is Larry Williams, who won a national trading competition in
1987
> by
> > multiplying $10,000 into over $1,000,000 in 1 year.  Each of
these
> > traders says they use mechanical systems, some almost
exclusively.

> > Most traders are very reluctant to reveal real-time trading
income
> > particulars including myself for obvious reasons...
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Pal
> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred" <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:
> > > LOL ... Okay, if you say so ... Let me know when any of you
guys
> > who
> > > believe this START trading mechanical systems with REAL money,
> I'll
> > > be very interested in your real time results.
> > >
> > > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jayson" <jcasavant@xxxx>
> has
> > > changed.
> > > mattress, you