[amibroker] Re: need more watchlists, or another approach, or both

Dave,

There is no limit to the number of 'External' WatchLists one may
use.  Refer to DLL group for the external WLs. (Caution: There is a
bit of learning curve if you want to use external WLs.)

Regards,
- Salil V Gangal

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>
wrote:
> I wonder if we might get the ability to have more watchlists at
some point,
> especially now that we can fill them from AFL code.
>
> or maybe there's another way to do what I'm thinking about. (not
that 255
> watchlists wouldn't still be useful, it would, even if there's
another way.)

> suppose you want to run some strategy on the set of stocks that
rank the
> highest by some criteria over the previous month. for any given
day, you
> could run a backtest, sort the results however you wanted, put the
top
> ranked stocks in a watchlist, then run your analysis on that.
>
> but how can you backtest this concept, as if you'd done that
repeatedly each
> month for a number of years? the only way I could think of was to
define a
> set of watchlists that will hold the highest ranking stocks for
each month
> of the test period, run a scan that fills them, then run an
analysis that
> knows which list to check against for each month.
>
> we can't do the ranking on the fly, since as far as I know, we
can't find
> out what other stocks are being tested besides the current one. am
I missing

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511