Objective functions (was RE: [amibroker] Re: Optimization -- again)

Gary,

ncAlpha and/or other risk-reward type ratios seem to do the job.

I don't think I'd call that method auto optimizing.

Fred

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Gary A. Serkhoshian"
<serkhoshian777@xxxx> wrote:
> Fred,
>
> Related to your points below, I have a few questions.
>
> 1.  Understanding your point about equity feedback.  Which
selection criteria have you found to be most robust?  With any
selection measure it seems we have to make a leap of faith that good
performance in the past will continue in the future.  I'm finding
Alpha to be useful.

> 2.  Your second comment related to making system auto adjustments
on the fly.  Isn't that essentially auto-optimizing or is it more in
line with the IP method that DT has been sharing?

> Thanks for sharing,
> Gary
>

> Fred <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:
> Howard,
>
> With regards to equity feedback what I think I was trying to say
was
> that I have not found equity feedback to be a particularly good
> methodology of deciding what to trade as opposed to evaluating a
> particular trading system where I would certainly agree that the
> curve itself and the statistics that rleate to it are very
> important.  For example I've never found attempting to measure and
> then utilize how well some particular security moved during the
last
> up move of what ever magnitude you want to describe the up move as
> being as indicative of what's likely to happen during the next up
> move.
>
> As far as markets changing characteristcs over time and the
inability
> of at least SOME systems to adjust to those, I would certainly
agree
> that this is true in a lot of cases.  My particular preference in
> this regard is to write systems that make their own adjustments on
> the fly for changing conditions as opposed to testing short samples
> of data on a walk forward basis.
>
> Fred
>
> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Howard Bandy" <howardbandy@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > Hi Fred -
> >

> > If I look at the equity curves of two trading systems, one that
has
> been
> > upward sloping and smooth, and the other irregular, that tells me
> that one
> > trading system has been better than the other.  If I project into
> the
> > future, I only have past behavior to use as a guide.  So my
> preference is
> > the trading system associated with the better equity curve.  Am I
> missing
> > something?
> >

> > Howard

Optimization -