RE: [amibroker] Re: Grapefruit was NOT mechanical systems ...

OK
Fred, you got the last word. Your voice is heard above all others. Now, can we
please, please move on??

Regards,
Jayson
<FONT face=Tahoma
size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Fred
[mailto:fctonetti@xxxxxxxxx]Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 11:02
AMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: [amibroker] Re:
Grapefruit was NOT mechanical systems ...READ THE
THREAD ... a grapefruit by any other name is still a grapefurit even when it
pretends to be a mechanical system with results over the last siz years as
was the question.  There is no justification for changing thread names
and posting whatever one feels like.  That's why there is a POST
button, so folks can start their own threads that relate to whatever it is
they're talking about.--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz
Janeczko" <amibroker@xxxx> wrote:> Fred wrote:> >
Still the grapefruit ... go back and reread what you responded to
and> > chose to ignore ... don't go away mad, just go
away.> > Who you are to say "go away" ?> If you don't like
his posts you may ignore him, but you always> have to have the last
word.> > Fortunatelly this is free forum and everyone is allowed
to speak up,> quite opposite to some other forums ....> >
Best regards,> Tomasz Janeczko> amibroker.com> -----
Original Message ----- > From: "Fred" <fctonetti@xxxx>> To:
<amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 3:07
PM> Subject: [amibroker] Re: Grapefruit was NOT mechanical systems
...> > > > > --- In
amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "DIMITRIS TSOKAKIS" <TSOKAKIS@xxxx>>
wrote:> > OK, Fred, no problem.> > If you don´t want
replies, please do not ask> > " Let me know when any of
you  guys  who..."> > because I am included in this "...any
of you who..." category.> > I may also never reply your messages, if
you prefer...> > [Since you can not define what is related and what is
not, this is,> > everytime, a responsibility of the person who
replies here]> > Thank you also for this "no objection to post stuff
like this"> > [I hope we will not ask your permission in the future,
sir !!]> > See also the recent> > <A
href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/message/50195>
> for an integrated point of view.> > It is within the scopes of
this list, as described at> > <A
href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/>
> [It is the basis of the system I will follow by the end on
Nov2003.]> > Have a nice day !!> > Dimitris
Tsokakis> >> > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred"
<fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:> > > As I said BEFORE you responded
... We've done this dance before.> > >> > > Please
don't bother responding to my posts if you are going to> > >
continue to answer questions that weren't asked.  Better ? Yes
of> > > course.  I have better then useless and
meaningless which is what> > 14> > > months of
results are worth.  I have no objection if you want to> >
post> > > stuff like this, just not on the back end of my posts
where your> > > response is totally unrelated to the topic.>
TSOKAKIS"> > <TSOKAKIS@xxxx>> > > wrote:>
> > > Fred,> > > > as far as I know, the day of the
week is Tuesday [European> > > > calendar].Nice day...>
> > > Grapefruits are bitter, I don´t like them.> > > >
As for the mechanical trading systems [mechanical in *concept*> >
and> > > > execution] you have, perhaps a better alternative
than a +500%> > for> > > 14> > > >
months.> > > > This will make your grapefruits sweeter, at least
I hope so.> > > > Whenever you decide to become serious again [I
am sure you are]> > we> > > > may talk about
it.> > > > Your concept re: 3 years before, 3 years after etc in
not a> > unique> > > > criterion to check [and follow,
perhaps] a trading system.> > > > [and never was in the
past].> > > > You may keep this provocative style, if it makes
you happy,> but,> > > > there are some people who use
mechanical systems and, of> course,> > > > nobody is
obliged to expose [with the appropriate respect] to> Mr.> >
> > Fred his techniques and methods, just because Fred is>
provocative.> > > > We are here to "to help the Amibroker users
to share the ideas,> > > tips> > > > and other
related information" as you may read at> > > > <A
href="">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/>
> > > Well, I think System xII gives some valuable hints about
the> > > rhythms> > > > of this market in an
innovative approach. The results are> > > interesting> >
> > and it is, perhaps, a good point to start a further research.>
> > > It would help the readers if we were discussing methods,
codes,> > > > techniques instead of spending our time to
useless comments.> > > > I would appreciate your opinion for
this System xII, until I> find> > > the> > >
> time to write and post its better version> > > > Dimitris
Tsokakis> > > >> > > > --- In
amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred" <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:> >
> > > DT,> > > > >> > > > > Your
post wasn't really a response to mine, was it ?> > > >
answers like> > > grapefruit> > > > > are valid
contestant please.> > > > >> > > > >
Fred> > > > >> > > > > >
Dimitris,> > > > > >> > > > > > I
have always wanted the answer ... I've yet to see one> > > >
...> > > > > >> > > > > > Let's see
the equity curve of some system you like with the> > > >
> > appropriate stats from 2-3 years before to 2-3 years after>
> the> > > > > > relatively recent top.  I've
posted mine, several times.> I'm> > > > still>
<TSOKAKIS@xxxx>> > > > > wrote:> > > >
> > The mechanical concept:> > > > > > Begin with
the new year 2002.> > > > > > Buy with the first
significant trough [Feb22, 2002], sell> > with> > > >
the> > > > > > first significant peak [March8,
2002].> > > > > > Then buy every X days, Sell every Y
days, X<Y> > > > > > The trial period needs 5-6 trades
in 5-6 months until the> > > > buy/sell> > > >
> > signal occur on the same bar.> > > > > > This is
the end of the trial period and , if the results> are> > >
> good,> > > > > > you may begin the real
trades.> > > > > > Select the top5 and trade them up to
the next buy/sell> > > > coincidence> > > > >
> [12 to 18 months]> > > > > > The application:>
on> > Aug28,> > > > > 2002.> > > >
> > The top5 was ERICY, MNST, NVDA, SANM and VRSN.> > > >
> > The system will come to an end at the next [13th] Buy>
signal> > > [25> > > > > bars> > >
> > > later]> > > > > > The real trading cycle is
286 bars, if it is to be repeated.> > > > > > [In the
mean time, the system xIII has began from Jan2,> 2003> > >
and> > > > so> > > > > > on...]>
from> > 29/8/2002> > > up> > > > >
to> > > > > > now ans see...> > > > >
> The code is simple> > > > > > // System xII>
> > STARTSELL=DateNum()==1020308;> > > > > >
X=26;Y=24;> > > > > >
Buy=BarsSince(STARTBuy)%X==0;> > > > > >
Sell=BarsSince(STARTSell)%Y==0;> > > > > >
Short=Sell;Cover=Buy;> > > > > >
Settings:buy/sell/short/cover at +1 open, commission 0.25%> >
[of> > > > > course> > > > > > you may
use delay0, since you know in advance the buy/sell> > >
dates]> > > > > > For the described period the performance
exceeded the +500%> > > > > > [If I was following
without any hesitation from the> > beginning,> > >
necessary]> > > > > > [The next system xIII will use the
Inspection Points theory> > > for,> > > > >
> hopefully, even better results]> > > > > > Dimitris
Tsokakis> > > > > >> > > > > > ---
<TSOKAKIS@xxxx>> > > > > > wrote:> > >
> [...]
the mechanical character of the system, will you> > tell> >
> us> > > > > now> > > > > > >
the appropriate statistics before and after and whatever> > >
comes> > > > in> > > > > > > your mind
to fit your narrow point of view ?> > > > > > > You may
apply these rules to your systems but it doesn´t> > mean> >
> > you> > > > > > > express a universal must for
mechanical systems.> > > > > > > Anyway, you will have
my examples in 6h...> > > > > > > Dimitris
"Fred" <fctonetti@xxxx>> > > wrote:> > >
... I've yet to see one> > > > > > > >>
...> > > > > > > >> > > > > >
> > Let's see the equity curve of some system you like with>
> the> > > > > > > > appropriate stats from 2-3
years before to 2-3 years> > after> > > > the>
mine, several> times.> > > I'm> > > > >
> still> > > > > > > > trading the same
system(s).> > > > > > > >> > > >
TSOKAKIS"> > > > > > > <TSOKAKIS@xxxx>>
> > Fred,> > > > > > > > > It is the hard
way to avoid any other opinion except> > > > yours !!>
request.> > > > > > > > > Except if you want to
keep this sterile and> > unproductive> > > > > >
thought.> > > > > > > > > You may avoid to change
your position, [I will agree> it> > > is> > >
> provocatively> > > > ask> > > > > >
the> > > > > > > > same> > > > >
tango...> > > > > > > > > Dimitris
Tsokakis> > > > > > > > > --- In
amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred"> > <fctonetti@xxxx>>
DT,> > > > > > > > > >> > > >
> [...]
here before.  Let's not do the same> dance> > > >
again,> > > > > > > okay ?> > > > >

Fred> > > > > > > > > >> > > >
"DIMITRIS> TSOKAKIS"> > > > > > > > >
<TSOKAKIS@xxxx>> > > > > > > > > >
wrote:> > > > > > > > > > > Fred,>
understand your request,> > yes,> > > I> > >
> > did> > > > > > it> > > > >
again...]> > > > > > > > > > > And when I
say mechanical, I mean it.> > > > > > > > > >
> Mechanical in logic, execution, starting date and> > >
> ending> > > > > > date> > > > >
more,> > if> > > > you> > > > >
> find> > > > > > > > it> > > >
> > <fctonetti@xxxx>> > > > > > >
wrote:> > > > > > > > > > > > LOL ...
Okay, if you say so ... Let me know> when> > > any>
> > > of> > > > > > you> > > >
> > who> > > > > > > > > > > >
believe this START trading mechanical systems> > with> >
> > REAL> > > > > > > > money,> >
results.> > > > > > > > > > > >>
amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jayson"> > > > > >
<jcasavant@xxxx>> > > > > > > > >
wrote:> > > > > > > > > > > > >
Fred,> > > > > > > > > > > > > I
think market behavior does change because> the> > > >
> market> > > > > > > > itself> > >
put> > it> > > > > under> > > >
> > > the> > > > > > > > > > >
> mattress, you> > > > > > > > > > >
> > will make money". If you took his advice and> > >
bought> > > > > it> > > > > >
on> > > > > > > > > > Monday> > >
up he> > > would> > > > > tell> > >
> > > are> > > > > > > > > > >
> in this> > > > > > > > > > > > >
for the long haul, relax" ...... and you> > probably> > >
> > did,> > > > > > > > > >
especially> > > > > > > > > > > > since
your> > > > > > > > > > > > > trade
probably cost you over $100 round trip.> > 10> > >
> > years> > > > > > > ago> > > >
one> > > > > > > > > > > > year or
6> > > > > > > > > > > > > month hold
was considered "Short Term" today> > that> > > >
is> > > > > no> > > > > > > >
> longer> > > > > > > > > > >
the> > > > > > > > > > > > case.>
brokerage accounts you can now> buy> > > and> >
> > > sell> > > > > > > > that> >
> selling> > > > the> > > > > > >
stock> > > > > > > > > de> > > >
have access> > to> > > > > >
hundreds> > > > > > > > of> > > >
computer> > power> > > on> > > > >
> your> > > > > > > > desk> > > >
ago.> > > And> > > > > > more> >
investors". Day> > traders> > > > > didn't>
> > This> > > > > > > > > > > >
> isn't your fathers market,  IMO to back test> > data>
20> > > > > > > > > > > > years
ago> > > > > > > > > > > > > and
think that optimizing on that data to> trade> > > >
today> > > > > > > holds> > > > >
> > > The markets turn on a dime and there is a> whole>
> > new> > > > > > breed> > > > >
> > > of> > > > > > > > > >
more> > > > > > > > > > > >
nimble> > > > > > > > > > > > >
traders taking part in the action. The> dynamics> > >
and> > > > > > > > > psychology> > >
ruled> > by> > > > the> > > > >
> > few.> > > > > > > > > >
Watch> > > > > > > > > > > the> >
you see trade after> > > trade> > > > of>
200> > > > > > > > > > or> > >
trades but> Joe> > > and> > > > >
Jill> > > > > > > six> > > > > >
> 5> > > > > > > > > > > >
years> > > > > > > > > > > > > ago I
used to always wait until the first> have> > > hour>
trading> > > > > > > > > > > had>
avoid the built up> > > demand> > > > > >
> already> > > > > > > > > in> >
is> out> > > of> > > > > the> >
think> > there> > > > are> > > > >
today> > > > versus> > > > > > the>

> > > Regards,> > > > > > > > > >
> > > Jayson> > > > > > > > > > >
5:38 PM> > > > > > > > > > > > > To:
amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > > > > > > > >
> > > Subject: Objective functions (was RE:> >
[amibroker]> > > > Re:> > > > > > >

There are a lot of questions and provacative> > > > >
statements> > > > > > > in> > > > >
> > post,> > > > > > > > > > > >
> only one of which from my perspective needs> an> > >

after> > > > that ...> > > > > > >

> is> > > > the> > > > > > part>
> > > > > > I> > > > > > > > >
> don't> > > > > > > > > > > > >
follow.  To me there is nothing new in market> > > >
> behavior> > > > > > > now> > > >
decade,> > > > last> > > > > > > >
> century,> > > > > > > > > > but>
take a short sighted view> of> > > > > history>
> the> > > > > > > > > > > > >
market action that made up that history will> > > >
clearly> > > > > > > never> > > > >
it.> > > > > > > > > > > > > It's a
forest and trees thing ...> > > > > > > > > >

> --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave> > Merrill"> >
honest> (:-> > > > )...> > > > > >
I'm> > > > > > > > more> > > > >
over,> > > but> > > > I> > > > >
j> > > > > > u> > > > > > >
s> > > > > > > > > t> > > > >
> o> > > > > > > > > > > > > n '
t   g> > > > > > > > > > > >
> > e t   i t .> > > > > > > > >

in> > principle> > > > > > between> >

backtesting> > > > > performance> > > > >
> of> > > > > > > a> > > > > >
> > > and its> > > > > > > > > > >
> > > parameters over some period of past data> >
tells> > > > you> > > > > > > > >
something> > > > > > > > > > >
about> > > > > > > > > > > > >
its> > > > > > > > > > > > > >
future performance. it's not a perfect> > > predictor,> >
> > > but> > > > > > > > it's> >
> > > starting> > > > > > > point?>

it> > only> > > > > once?> > > >
> > > what> > > > > > > > > > >
> > justification is> > > > > > > > > >
over> > > > > > another?> > > > > >
> > > clearly> > > > > > > > > > >
> > market> > > > > > > > > > > >
> > behavior will change continually after> that.> > >
> don't> > > > > we> > > > > > >
> need> > > > > > > > > a> > >
evolves> > > > our> > > > > > > >
> response?> > > > > > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > > > > > > >
> sounds like we examine performance up to> some> > >
> point> > > > > > and> > > > > >
> > > trade with> > > > > > > > > >
> > while,> > > > > > then> > > >
> > > adjust> > > > > > > > > > >
> > > again later. make sense? what alternative> is> >
> > there?> > > > > > > > > > > >
> >> > > > > > > > > > > > >
> so then, how often do we re-examine> > performance> >
to> > > > > > > > > > put> > >
any> > changes> > > in> > > > > >
> market> > > > > > > > > > >
dynamics> > > > > > > > > > > > >
that may> > > > > > > > > > > > >
> or may not have occurred? why would> > > >
intermittently> > > > > > > > refusing> >
reliability?> > > > > > > > > > > > >
that needs to be done, why not have the> > > system> >
do> > > > > > > > > > it,> > >
for> > us> > > > as> > > > >
an> > > > > > > > > outside> > >
reach> > > into> > > > > the> >

system> > and> > > > > > > parameters>
> what> > > > > we'd> > > > > > >
> > choose> > > > > > > > > > > >
later,> > > > > > > > > > > > >
using> > > > > > > > > > > > > >
the same backtesting methods, but on a> > > different> >
> > > date> > > > > > > > range>

make> sense> > > > > > > logically,> >
> > a> > > > > > > > > > > > >
complete> > > > > > > > > > > > >
> crock if no systems put together like this> > even> >
> well,> > > > > > > > > > > > >
never mind> > > > > > > > > > > > >
> forward testing.> > > > > > > > > > >
> > >> > > > > > > > > > > >
> > but every time I think about abandoning> this> > >
line> > > > > of> > > > > > > >
> > research,> > > > > > > > > > >
it> > > > > > > > > > > > > seems
like> > > > > > > > > > > > > >
the first thing I'd want to do with a new> > > system> >
> > > guess),> > > > > > > > > > >
> > > test and possibly adjust it using data up> to> >
> some> > > > > > date,> > > > >
run> > > > > > > > > > > > > with it
for> > > > > > > > > > > > > > a
while after that and see if equity growth> > is> > >
> > good.> > > > > > if> > > > >
> > > it> > > > > > > > > >
is,> > > > > > > > > > > I'd> >
with other in and> > out> > > of> > > >
> > > sample> > > > > > > > > >
data,> > > > > > > > > > > to> >
coincidence.> > > > > > > > > > > > >

sounds way too familiar to be a completely> > > > >
different> > > > > > > > animal.> > >

[mailto:fctonetti@xxxx]> > > > > > > > > >

> > >   That IS what I was trying to say.  I>
> suspect> > > > > > because> > > >
> > feed> > > > > > > > > > > >
> back> > > > > > > > > > > > >
>   is like looking in a rear view mirror,> >
great> > > > for> > > > > > > >
letting> > > > > > > > > us> > >
could have> > adjusted> > > > the> > >
> > > past> > > > > > > > to> >