RE: Objective functions (was RE: [amibroker] Re: Optimization -- again)

<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Thanks, Steve, for beating me to the punch on this one.
Twilight zone material, for sure.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>.From:
CedarCreekTrading [mailto:kernish@xxxxxxxxxxx]Sent: Monday, October
20, 2003 12:27 PMTo: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<BLOCKQUOTE

  Subject: Re: Objective functions (was RE: [amibroker] Re:
  Optimization -- again)
  Pal,

  For a system to be valid, it must work on all
  numbers tested, not just those with certain names and not others with
  different names.
  Try telling Keith Fitchen that (the author of
  Aberration, the most successful mechanical system ever sold ... check out
  Futures Truth).  First, Keith will tell you that his wildly successful
  approach DOES NOT work on equities.  Second, Keith will tell you
  that he only trades a basket of six commodities.  I believe both these
  principles are directly contrary to your opinions about optimizing and the
  selection of issues to be traded.

  If a system works on Bonds and not on Beans,
  this system is curve fitted over a specific set of data (Bonds) and it loses
  all statistical validity.

  Wrong, wrong,
  wrong.  If I have an approach that has worked on Bonds for ten years and
  it doesn't work on beans...BFD.  Should I abandon a robust approach to
  trading Bonds...because I can't make "beans" on
  Beans?
  <FONT face=Arial
  size=2>
  Beware of drinking other people's bath water and
  whatever you do, don't drink the Kool Aid .

  Take care,

  Steve

  <BLOCKQUOTE