Re: Objective functions (was RE: [amibroker] Re: Optimization -- again)

Pal,

It might be an epiphany for some...but, contrary
opinion (bullish consensus) has been publicly published since the 60's.
"Urban legends" are prevalent throughout the trading world.  One of the
silliest notions is:
One of the problems with mechanical systems is
that as soon as traders discover a mechancial system, it would be destroyed when
it has sufficient users, because it would pretty soon be discounted by the
market.

Pure fiction.  What
exactly is sufficient users?  Ten people on this forum?  Ten or twenty
hedge funds?  Janus and Investco or Janus, Investco, Fidelity and twenty
foreign banks?  Egomaniacs might buy into the this premise (maybe even
 seminar/system sellers...trying to make you believe that the crap they are
selliing is unique...like contrary opinion).  If Larry can convince you of
this, Larry can convince you of anything.

Larry doesn't reveal all of his methods in his
books either... Maybe he will at one of his seminars,

I bet if you plunk your money down...Larry will squeal
like a pig or bark like a dog.  Don't worry, he'll be back in your town
soon.  You'll get a chance to pay three grand (or more) to hear his pearls
of wisdom.  There are people on this forum who know Larry socially and
professionally.  Do you really want people to take his pants down in
public?  If you insist on defining this marketing genius as a "great
trader", you will have to put up with people that have seen the "dog and
pony show" for the past 25 years.  Some of it isn't very
pretty.

Take care,

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE