Objective functions (was RE: [amibroker] Re: Optimization -- again)

One way to achieve stuff like this is by using parameters or concepts
that are self adjusting.  An example would be a parameter value that
is related to an ATR.

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>
wrote:
> [...]
>   closes.
>
>   The purpose of trading is to consistently make money. This is
done by
>   having the best information available. If a trader does not know
the
>   best entry for his system, what is he trying to prove? That the
>   system isn't optimized? To lose money because a trader is
ignorant of
>   his systen's best parameters is foolish.
>
>   Regards,
>
>   Pal
>   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>
>   wrote:
>   > one question pal: if you prefer not to optimize parameters, how
do
>   you set
>   > them? or do you have some kind of trading rules that don't have
time
>   > constants, trigger levels, etc, that need to be set?
>   >
>   > dave
>   >
>   >   I thought I might throw in my 2 cents.
>   >
>   >   Vendors love optimization, because it can generate eye popping
>   >   hypothetical profits which has no connection to real-time
trading.
>   >
>   >   I prefer a system to work without optimization. But if I have
>   do
>   >   it, I would make sure that the optimization is robust in the
>   >   following manner:
>   >
>   >   1. The sample size of data should be large enough to represent
>   real-
>   >   time market conditions - bull, bear and sideways markets.
>   >
>   >   2. The look-back period should be as large as possible for the
>   same
>   >   reasons.
>   >
>   >   3. The testing of optimizable parameters should be on out of
>   sample
>   >   data using walk-forward analysis.
>   >
>   >   4. The Central Limit Theorem says that for a sample to assume
the
>   >   characteristics of the population, the size of sample should
be
>   >   large. The minimum sample size should be around 30. But since
an
>   >   uptrend or downtrend can last for say 50 periods, I would
have a
>   >   minimum sample size of 100 periods making sure that the full
>   market
>   >   cycle is there (uptrend, downtrend and congestion).
>   >
>   >   5. The optimizable parameters should be as few as possible and
>   tested
>   >   in a wide variety of markets.
>   >
>   >   Curve-fitting is like rolling a fair dice with 1/6
probability of
>   >   getting any number from 1 to 6, rolling it 5 times, getting
#6, 4
>   out
>   >   of 5 times (80%) of time.
>   >
>   >   A lot of traders fall in the trap of curve-fitting without
being
>   >   aware of it. So when designing a system, it is important to
keep
>   your
>   >   guard up as far as curve-fitting is concerned.
>   >
>   >   Regards,
>   >
>   >   Pal
>   >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Gary A. Serkhoshian"
>   >   <serkhoshian777@xxxx> wrote:
>   >   > Fred,
>   >   >
>   >   > Could you narrow-down your idea of a reasonable sample size
for
>   >   backtests.  You've been hinting at rather sizeable backtesting
>   >   periods, but would like to put some numbers to it.  Also
wonder if
>   >   you use # of trades as a guide versus period of time for
>   backtesting
>   >   period.
>   >   >
>   >   > Thanks,
>   >   > Gary
>   >   >
>   >   > Fred <fctonetti@xxxx> wrote:
>   >   > There are a lot of questions and provacative statements in
your
>   >   post,
>   >   > only one of which from my perspective needs an
answer/response.
>   >   >
>   >   > Market behavior will continually change after that ...
>   >   >
>   >   > Change ? from what ? into what ? I guess this is the part I
>   don't
>   >   > follow.  To me there is nothing new in market behavior now
that
>   >   > didn't exist last month, last year, last decade, last
century,
>   but
>   >   > clearly those that take a short sighted view of history and
the
>   >   > market action that made up that history will clearly never
see
>   it.
>   >   > It's a forest and trees thing ...
>   >   >
>   >   > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill"
<dmerrill@xxxx>
>   >   > wrote:
>   >   > > I'm not trying to be argumentative, honest (:-)... I'm
more
>   than
>   >   a
>   >   > little
>   >   > > sick of saying the same thing over and over, but I  j u s
>   d o
>   >   > n ' t   g
>   >   > > e t   i t .
>   >   > >
>   >   > > ------------------------------
>   >   > >
>   >   > > I fail to see the huge difference in principle between
equity
>   >   > feedback and
>   >   > > backtesting.
>   >   > >
>   >   > > let's start by assuming that backtesting performance of a
>   system
>   >   > and its
>   >   > > parameters over some period of past data tells you
something
>   >   about
>   >   > its
>   >   > > future performance. it's not a perfect predictor, but
it's the
>   >   best
>   >   > evidence
>   >   > > we have. does this seem like a reasonable starting point?
what
>   >   > alternative
>   >   > > is there?
>   >   > >
>   >   > > if that's true, why is it better to do it only once? what
>   >   > justification is
>   >   > > there for picking one examination period over another?
clearly
> [...]
>   it,
>   >   as
>   >   > part of
>   >   > > its inherent operation? why is it better for us as an
outside
>   >   agent
>   >   > > periodically run some separate tests, reach into the
>   internals of
>   >   > the
>   >   > > system, and change stuff?
>   >   > >
>   >   > > or should we just continue with the system and parameters
we
>   >   choose
>   >   > at the
>   >   > > beginning? are they somehow more valid than what we'd
choose
>   >   later,
>   >   > using
>   >   > > the same backtesting methods, but on a different date
range of
>   >   data?
>   >   > >
>   >   > > ------------------------------
>   >   > >
>   >   > > I realize that even if it seems to make sense logically,
this
>   all
>   >   a
>   >   > complete
>   >   > > crock if no systems put together like this even backtest
well,
>   >   > never mind
>   >   > > forward testing.
>   >   > >
>   >   > > but every time I think about abandoning this line of
>   research, it
>   >   > seems like
>   >   > > the first thing I'd want to do with a new system would be
>   (let me
>   >   > guess),
>   >   > > test and possibly adjust it using data up to some date,
then
>   run
>   >   > with it for
>   >   > > a while after that and see if equity growth is good. if
it is,
>   >   I'd
>   >   > want to
>   >   > > lather, rinse and repeat with other in and out of sample
>   data, to
>   >   > make sure
>   >   > > that wasn't coincidence.
>   >   > >
>   >   > > sounds way too familiar to be a completely different
animal.
>   >   > >
>   >   > > dave
>   >   > >   From: Fred [mailto:fctonetti@x...]
>   >   > >
>   >   > >   That IS what I was trying to say.  I suspect because
equity
>   >   feed
>   >   > back
>   >   > >   is like looking in a rear view mirror, great for
letting us
>   know
>   >   > >   where we were and how we could have adjusted the past to

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.
Try Netflix for FREE!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tq9otC/XP.FAA/3jkFAA/GHeqlB/TM