Re: Objective functions (was RE: [amibroker] Re: Optimization -- again)

Pal:
The success or
failure of many different mechanical systems is predicated to a surprising
and varying degree on the sequence of events just prior to the first actual
trade generated by the system. The trade setup and timing of the first
trade can have a profound effect on the subsequent trading results. The
circumstances and timing of entry into the first trade can sometimes make a
huge difference in the overall trading performance.
You've spotlighted a simple truth:  depending
on what day you start your test, results will differ.  Any profound effects
on resullts should be a red flag.  If the starting date of your data set
adversely affects your returns, I would assume the system is not robust.
"Robust" is tough term to define...but, yes, results vary depending on starting
dates.  Drastic differences in returns should make one very suspect of
their system design.

Take care,

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE