RE: Objective functions (was RE: [amibroker] Re: Optimization -- again)

<SPAN
class=806363715-19102003>don't think I get what you mean here
fred.
<SPAN
class=806363715-19102003>
<SPAN
class=806363715-19102003>you can't be saying that metrics on the equity curve of
a trading strategy or its parameters aren't useful, right? that's the only thing
we have to judge the effectiveness of our methods and
settings.
<SPAN
class=806363715-19102003>
<SPAN
class=806363715-19102003>so you must be saying that equity feedback isn't a
useful concept, regardless of how you measure "good" equity. do I have that
right?
<SPAN
class=806363715-19102003>
<SPAN
class=806363715-19102003>if so, as I've said, my experience agrees -- none of
the indicators I've tried are wonderfully profitable when auto-optimized this
way. I just cannot for the life of me understand why that's the case, if
backtests tell us anything useful about future performance.
<SPAN
class=806363715-19102003>
<SPAN
class=806363715-19102003>if I've misunderstood completely, my apoligies
(:-)
<SPAN
class=806363715-19102003>
<SPAN
class=806363715-19102003>dave
<BLOCKQUOTE
>Like
  a lot of other things that sound like they SHOULD work, I have never found
  metrics related to equity curve feedback to be of much value in the
  determination of system parameter values.--- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>
  wrote:> interesting as usual howard (:-). one piece I wanted to
  drill into a bit.> > I wonder what the effect of using
  performance measures that concentrate on> certain things at the
  expense of others actually is.> > for example, my
  auto-optimization stuff currently uses simple profit per bar> to
  choose parameter values. my gut-level assumption was that since it
  was> ignoring drawdown (among other things), the resulting systems
  might have> higher drawdown than I was comfortable with, but that
  profit per bar should> be as good as the trading method could
  produce.> > maybe that's not the case. maybe by choosing a more
  balanced success metric,> not only would the other factors not
  considered by my simplistic first pass> metric be improved, but
  profitability might be improved as well.> > is this something
  you've investigated or thought about? anyone else?> >
  dave>   Note ? it is perfectly valid to have different
  objective functions for> different purposes.  For example, I
  might be modeling the behavior of a> sector, say oil services, with
  the intent of trading individual stocks based> on what I
  learn.  In this case, I want to identify periods of rising
  prices> with careful attention to turning points, but without much
  interest in> overall profit.  On the other hand, I might be
  modeling individual high beta> tech stocks, in which case my model
  includes several stop loss techniques> and I care most about
  avoiding drawdowns.> > > >
  Thanks,> >   HowardSend
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.