RE: [amibroker] Optimization -- again

Hi Al –

Thanks for the kind words.

It is not valid to use older data for
out-of-sample testing when the data series is a time series that changes in
response to the trading models that are trying to reduce its inefficiency by
taking trading profits from it.  If the data series came from a chemical
plant, there would be no problem.  If it came from growth of a biological
system, there would be little problem.  But one of the reasons the
financial markets change is precisely because we learn about their
patterns.  Using earlier data for out-of-sample data is like using
yesterday’s charts for trading.  It is almost as bad a cheat as
looking forward to tomorrows data.

I wrote a response to Dingo’s
question about my last paragraph that should appear within a post or two of
this one.

Thanks,

Howard