Re: [inbx] Re: [investment] RE: [amibroker] Will systems degrade? (was Optimization)

<BLOCKQUOTE

  The market changed ?  Really ?  From what ?  Into what
  ?
<BLOCKQUOTE
><FONT
  color=#ff0000>From going up to going down
  Was it really doing something it had never done before ?  Or
  only something that those with a myopic view were saying could never
  happen again becuase it was a "NEW ECONOMY" ...

  I don't recall saying it had
  never happened before. Many of us were just starting out on our investing
  career.I found it laughable and tragic at the time that no
  matter how much one warned people that the late nineties wouldn't last
  forever that they continued over the waterfall in the same barrell
  together like so many lemmings rushing off to the sea following a pied
  piper.

  I sure wish I'd had you to guide
  me at that time. It's amazing how many people could see the problems at the
  time.--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Steve Almond"
  <steve2@xxxx> wrote:> I'm not sure this idea of profitable
  systems 'failing' is actually true. I (along with millions of others) hit
  on a superb system in 1998. It was called invest in MSFT, CSCO, DELL and
  AOL. (let's call it a momentum system). It worked superbly until about
  March 2000. It didn't work after that, but I don't believe it was due to
  inefficiencies of the market disappearing. It no longer worked because
  the market changed (and the system didn't have the ability to change with
  that market). > NOW I can develop systems that work (with
  hindsight/data mining/curve fitting) all the way from 1998 to today. Will
  they continue to work into the future? Maybe (although judging just by
  today, the answer is no....), but I'm fairly sure they have a much
  better chance that the MSFT etc. system.> > Steve>
  >   seems like one corollary of this is that as soon as we
  figure out something that appears profitable, we should move quickly,
  before its advantage disappears. > >   it also
  seems like the notions of backtesting and optimization are unlikely to
  succeed, even more so the further back you go, since whatever advantages
  they indicate have probably already evaporated. unless they just happen to
  be recurring again now...> >   frankly, it's hard to
  see how rational trading system design is possible in a world like this.
  or am I just depressed?> >
  daveSend
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.