RE: [amibroker] OI field uses (more than just unadjusted close)

<SPAN
class=380392311-17102003>b, is it possible to handle this with a simple minimum
volume requirement? I currently have such a rule for entries to liquidity
reasons, but maybe it's wise to apply it to keeping the trade open too? I
haven't run into inactive stocks getting locked open, but I'm using QuotesPlus
data, and to be honest, I haven't looked into how they handle inactive
stocks.
<SPAN
class=380392311-17102003>
<SPAN
class=380392311-17102003>dave
<BLOCKQUOTE
>Tomasz,It
  is nice to see that the ASCII importer can scale up the unadjusted close
  by 100 to put into the OI field. However, the ASCII importer approach
  is not practical, by itself, if one has a database that includes inactive
  stocks. In such a case, we need to make the OI field do double duty. With
  inactive stocks, there needs to be a way to exit those stocks before they
  run out of data. Otherwise, AB will keep that trade "open" until the end
  of the test run, even if the end is years away. As a result, when testing
  several years of data, a trading portfolio of 20 stocks can get
  reduced to 15 or even just 10 actively beging traded (since several
  trades got locked open when data ran out). In one test, I ended up
  with just 1 stock being traded by the end since all the other
  positions were locked open. Having several trades locked open in
  this way can alert one to the risk of stocks going inactive, but it also
  makes it very difficult to know about the profit performance of the system
  being tested. One solution is to put a "0" (zero) in the OI field for
  the last 2 bars of data of inactive stocks. Thus there is a need for an
  external program (given to me by a kind friend) to pre-process files
  before importing into AB. That pre-importing program can also handle
  putting unadjusted closing prices in the OI fields for all stocks.
  Then one needs to add the following lines of code:inactiveExit
  = OI == 0;myRegularExitSignal = ... my code ...;sell =
  myRegularExitSignal OR inactiveExit;But that creates a new problem -
  one could get an "inactiveExit" sell signal on the same bar as a regular
  buy entry, and that would result in the trade being entered but never
  exited. You may remember I sent in a "possible" bug report before you told
  me why I was getting trades locked open. So another line of code is needed
  for the entry:OKinactiveEntry = OI > 0;// only enter if OI has
  no exit signal.myRegularBuySignal = ... my code ...;buy =
  myRegularBuySignal and OKinactiveEntry; b--- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko" <amibroker@xxxx>
  wrote:> Hello b519b, Fred,> > If you use the
  following ASCII importer format definition > > $FORMAT
  Date_DMY,Open,High,Low,Close,Volume,OpenInt> $PRICEFACTOR 100>
  $SKIPLINES 0> $BREAKONERR 0> $SEPARATOR ,> $DEBUG
  1> $AUTOADD 1> $CONT 1> $GROUP 254> > You
  would be able to have:> > unadjusted OHLC in regular OHLC fields
  and> adjusted close in OI field already.> > Since OI
  field is integer,  the above format definition> multiplies all
  prices by 100 (see $PRICEFACTOR 100) to> avoid truncating 2
  decimals.> > All this with already existing versions of AmiQuote
  and AmiBroker.> (the only thing required is to change aqh.format file
  from Formats subfolder> to format presented above)> >
  Best regards,> Tomasz Janeczko> amibroker.com> -----
  Original Message ----- > From: "b519b" <b519b@xxxx>> To:
  <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 5:03
  AM> Subject: [amibroker] Re: Uadjusted Yahoo Data - Any news?>
  > > > If one has adjusted close in the "close" field and
  unadjusted > > close*100 in "OI", one can quickly get the conversion
  factor:> > > > unadjustedClose = OI/100;> >
  SplitRatio = Close/unadjustedclose;> > > >
  unadjustedVolume = Volume*SplitRatio;> > etc> > >
  > --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fred" <fctonetti@xxxx>
  wrote:> > > Yes except not just adjusted and unadjusted close but
  a factor > > that > > > can be used to adjust/unadjust
  ALL the price arrays AND volume.> > > > > > --- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Chuck Rademacher" > > >
  <chuck_rademacher@x> wrote:> > > > hhmm.... sounds
  familiar?    What a great idea!> > >
  From: Fred [mailto:fctonetti@xxxx]> > > >   Sent:
  Thursday, October 16, 2003 6:43 PM> > > >   To:
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > >   Subject:
  [amibroker] Re: Uadjusted Yahoo Data - Any news?> > > >
  unadjusted is a nice option.  The problem is > > >
  that> > > >   typically one needs both
  simultaneously.  You MIGHT and I > > > emphasize>
  > > >   MIGHT as I haven't thought about this much, want to
  consider > > just> > > >   using OI
  for stocks since they're the only securities that > > >
  typically> > > >   have splits and really have no
  use for OI per se.> > > > > > > >
  <amibroker@xxxx>> > > >   wrote:> >
  > >   > Fred,> > > >
  already thinking about that.> > > >   > This
  would of course cause increase of database size (I am > > >
  thinking> > > >   > about Chuck for example who
  wants to put as much quotes as > > > possible> >
  > >   > in RAM for faster backtests) but it is worth
  considering.> > > >   > Uenal suggested similar
  thing in AmiQuote list.> > > >   > If only a day
  had more than 24 hours :-)> > > >   >>
  > > >   > By the way: newest Quotes Plus plugin already
  provides such > > > option,> > >
  >   > you can choose if you want split adjusted or not
  adjusted > > data.> > > >   > (in
  File->Database Settings->Configure)> > > >
  -----> > > >   > From: "Fred"
  <fctonetti@xxxx>> > > >   > To:
  <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> > > >   >
  Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 11:52 PM> > > >
  > Subject: [amibroker] Re: Uadjusted Yahoo Data - Any news?> >
  > >   >> > > >   >>
  > > >   > > Tomasz,> > >
  >   > >> > > >   > > A
  suggestion here regarding splits ...> > > >   >
  to be able have a record of > > when > > >
  the> > > >   > > splits actually occured and
  at what factor and have this > > > imbedded> > >
  >   in> > > >   > > the data i.e.
  another array "S" if you will that had a > > > cumulative>
  > > >   > > split factor in it.  This would
  allow one to look at either> > > >
  adjusted> > > >   > > or unadjusted data at
  will.> > > >   > >> > >
  >   > > Fred> > > >   >
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tomasz Janeczko"> > >
  >   <amibroker@xxxx>> > > >
  > > wrote:> > > >   > > >
  Yuki,> > > >   > > >> > >
  >   > > > I agree with you. I was just offering some
  solution for > > just> > > >   >
  > splitting> > > >   > > > one symbol.
  Good news are that next beta version of > > > AMiBroker>
  > > >   (4.45)> > > >   > >
  > will have a new flag in the ASCII importer that will > > allow
  > > > using> > > >   > > >
  getting split adjusted or not adjusted from Yahoo > > according
  > > > to> > > >   your> >
  > >   > > preference.> > > >
  regards,> > > >   > > > Tomasz
  amibroker.com> > > >   > > > ----- Original
  Message -----> > > >   > > > From: "Yuki
  Taga" <yukitaga@xxxx>> > > >   > > >
  To: "Tomasz Janeczko" <amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> > >
  >   > > > Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 11:31
  Uadjusted Yahoo Data - Any news?> > > >   >
  >   > > > > Hi Tomasz,> > >
  >   > > > >> > > >   >
  > > > Friday, October 17, 2003, 2:41:59 AM, you wrote:> >
  > >   > > > >> > > >
  > > adjust> > > >   your> > >
  >   > > data.> > > >   > >
  but 1) according to the docs this is> > > >
  irreversible> > > >   > > once> >
  > >   > > > > done, so be careful, and 2) not all
  those huge gaps are> > > >   splits.>
  > > >   > > You> > > >
  > > > *fairly*> > > >   > >
  easily> > > >   > > > > research the
  splits.  However, (my dear Tomasz) we > > need a> >
  > >   tweak on> > > >   > >
  > > the Database Purify tool, IMHO.  What is needed is a
  > > way > > > to> > > >
  flag a> > > >   > > > > particular
  "split" identified by the tool as *NOT* a > > >
  split,> > > >   and> > >
  >   > > have> > > >   > >
  > > that flag stick.  Unfortunately, the tool, while > >
  > apparently> > > >   > > finding>
  > > >   > > > > all the splits, also finds a
  lot of non splits as > > well.  > > > And>
  > > >   they> > > >   > >
  > > never go away, so you can never run this and get a > >
  clean> > > >   score.> > >
  >   > > > > Always, you will have literally dozens if
  not hundreds > > of> > > >   flags
  in> > > >   > > > > the Database Purify
  output suggesting splits that, > > > according> > >
  >   to> > > >   > > the>
  > > >   > > > > research record, never actually
  happened.  Could be > > that > > >
  some> > > >   of> > > >
  > > site> > > >   mentioned> >
  > >   > > > > above seems awfully thorough about
  this.> > > >   > > > >> > >
  REPORTS to bugs@xxxx> > > >   > > > >
  Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx> > > >   > >
  > > >   > > > >
  to> > > >   > > <A
  href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
  > > >   > > > >> > >
  >   > > > >> > > >   >
  >   > >> > > >   >
  bugs@xxxx> > > >   > > Send SUGGESTIONS to
  suggest@xxxx> > > >   > >
  > > >   > >
  >   <A
  href="">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

  >         Yahoo! Groups

  > >   Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx> > >
  is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of > > > Service.> >
  bugs@xxxx> > Send SUGGESTIONS to suggest@xxxx> >
  group FAQ at: <A
  href="">Yahoo! Terms of Service.