[amibroker] Re: MA, DEMA and TEMA can take array parameters, but EMA can't?

Tomasz,
I clearly understand the recursive nature of these functions.
This is not the subject.
The question is : Can we call "equivalent" two never touching lines ?
It is somehow tricky to ask from the user to accept the following
story:
1. Wilders(C,x) is N/A for  variable x
2. For fixed x the Wilders(C,x)=AMA(C,1/x) is true
3. Please accept the "analog" meaning for the argument
Arg. 1 : Wilders(C,x) is *also* AMA(C,1/x) *even when* x is variable
or
Arg. 2 : You may call AMA(C,1/x) as Wilders(C,x), x variable,
*because* AMA(C,1/x) *is* Wilders(C,x), when x=fixed !!

We have no evidence that this "analogy" exists and, form my experiece
in Physics, it is dangerous to speak [and use] for analogies just
because we like them.
>From this point of view, it is better not to have variable periods
for EMA, Wilders. Now, AMA(C,1/x) , 10<=x<=20 is an interesting
line "between" AMA(C,1/10) and AMA(C,1/20) and this could be the
happy end of the story. If someone needs to call it Wilders with
variable period, it is OK, but there is no evidence to do it.
Dimitris Tsokakis
> Dimitris,
>
> The explanation should be obvious to someone with the deep
background
> in physics and mathematics as you.
>
> The reason is that AMA, EMA, TEMA, DEMA, Wilders
> are all recursive functions. See
> http://www.amibroker.com/guide/afl/afl_view.php?name=AMA
> and
> http://www.amibroker.com/guide/afl/afl_view.php?name=DEMA
>
> for detailed recursive algorithm.
>
> What does it mean? It means that current value depends
> on input data array and PREVIOUS value of the indicator.
> The PREVIOUS value includes the value of "previous-previous" value
> and so on.
> Now if you change the period every bar all these changes (for all
previous bars)
> affect current bar value and that's why variable period AMA is
smooth and
> does not jump from Wilders10-Wilders11.
>
> Best regards,
> Tomasz Janeczko
> amibroker.com

Wp10 or

<amibroker@xxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > Stephane,
> > >
> > > That's true but Wilders is nothing more nothing less than just
AMA
> > > with 1/n smoothing factor.
> > >
> > > Wilders( array, N )  =>>>  AMA( array, 1 / N )
> > >

> > > Best regards,
> > > Tomasz Janeczko
> > > amibroker.com

AB