Re: [amibroker] Re: FW: Optimize/OverOptimize

From: "DIMITRIS TSOKAKIS" <<A
href=""><FONT
size=2>TSOKAKIS@xxxxxxxxx<FONT
size=2>>
To: <<A
href=""><FONT
size=2>amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<FONT
size=2>>
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 8:28
AM
Subject: [amibroker] Re: FW:
Optimize/OverOptimize

snip

> Thank you for the interesting comment.
Unforunately we do not have > any AFL algorithm for the moment, but...we
shall see.

If one is so inclined, a *.dll could be
written.
<FONT
size=2>> Dimitris Tsokakis> > > Dimitris Tsokakis> >
> --- In <A
href=""><FONT
size=2>amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
"Phsst" <<FONT
size=2>phsst@x...> wrote:>
> > > Is this the proper forum for this discussion?> > >
Amibroker > insights,> > > code> > > >
examples or solutions?> > > >> > > > Heck... I
get off topic every now and then, but I would not take> > > >
offense to having my reins jerked when needed.> > > >>
> > > Phsst> > > >> > > > --- In
<FONT
size=2>amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
"palsanand" <<FONT
size=2>palsanand@x...>> >
> wrote:> > > > > Hi,> > > > >>
topic > of> > > > > system optimization.  Most of
the work done in this area> > > concludes> > > >
> that optimizing individual systems does not provide a superior> >
> > > result.  If you take, for example, a MACD oscillator and
> optimize> > > it> > > > > over a year
of data, and then trade that system in the future,> > >
it's> > > > > odds of success are meager....> >
systems and arrive at a> > > > > collection.  You can
then use Back Test scores from the > systems> > > to>
very> > > > > different and much more advanced, than just
optimizing an > MACD.> > > You> > > > >
can try "fixing" the systems, but in all cases the accuracy of> > >
the> > > > > signals will be less than that achieved by
optimizing....> > > > >> > > > > No matter
which systems you use, they will fail at some time > or> > >
> > another.  However, you will find that Forward Test results of
> a> > > > > fixed, non-optimized system are
dramatically less than an> > > optimized> > > >
> system if you use a collection of optimized systems and form a> >
> > > consensus....> > > > >> > > >
> Prediction is difficult, especially of the future...> > > >

Niels Bohr> > > > >> > > > >
Regards,> > > > >> > > > > Pal>
href=""><FONT
size=2>amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave
Merrill" > <<FONT
size=2>dmerrill@x...>> >
> > > wrote:> > > > > > let me throw the
discussion of optimization in another> > > direction> >
> > > for a sec,> > > > > > into equity feedback,
something I've been looking at a lot> > > lately.> > >
the idea is to pick your > trades> > > from> >
> > > among the> > > > > > stocks (or whatever)
that have historically done the best at> > > that> > >
> > same> > > > > > method, or something as similar
to it as possible. for > example> > > > > (don't
put> > > > > > money on this!), say you went long or short
when MACD(13, > 21)> > > > > crossed zero,>
returns to> > > date> > > > > by that>
> most> > > > > seemingly> > > > >
> relevant means possible: grading performance under the same> >
> system.> > > > > another> > > > >
> way to look at it is that it automatically selects a >
universe> > > of> > > > > stocks to> >
the> > > strategy> > > > > used.> >
mechanics, you'd think this would > produce> > >
good> > > > > results> > > > > >
frequently, with a variety of common indicators, over many > time>
equities. my experience is that this isn't the> > > case.>
example, it's hard to find system that are> > > juicily>
present on the NASDAQ 100. works better on the> > > whole>
larger total universe has a better chance of> > > > >
containing some> > > > > > stellar choices, but it's still
hard to do outstandingly > well.> > > > > >>
when> > > managed> > > > > like this?>
tradable> > > stocks> > > > > > (sufficient
liquidity and price etc) perform well with the> > > > >
strategy, or,> > > > > > past performance with the
strategy doesn't correlate well > with> > > > >
future> > > > > > performance.> > > > >
strategy, it's just not> > > that> > > > >
generally> > > > > > applicable. perhaps it has parameters
that need to be > tailored> > > more> > > >
> to each> > > > > > individual stock or time frame,
more than the algorithm > itself> > > > > does. if
so,> > > > > > the next direction to pursue might be more
auto-compensating> > > > > metrics within> > >
> > > the strategy. OTOH, the more complex and rube goldberg >
things> > > get,> > > > > the more> >
> unlikely> > > on> > > > >
principle> > > > > > to be robust beyond the specific
conditions under which they> > > were> > > > >
tested.> > > > > >> > > > > > on the
other hand, what if past performance doesn't predict> > >
future> > > > > > performance? maybe some other metrics
would, but how would > you> > > > > know? any>
on to> > > predict> > > > > the> >
> feedback> > > > > code, and> > > >
> > everyone else here has tons of highly profitable systems >
like> > > this> > > > > that> > >
> > > they're not talking about?> > > > >
href=""><FONT
size=2>bugs@x...> > > Send
SUGGESTIONS to <FONT
size=2>suggest@x...> > >
> > Check group FAQ at:> > <A
href=""><FONT
size=2>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amibroker/files/groupfaq.html<FONT
size=2>> > >> > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> <A
href=""><FONT
size=2>http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/<FONT
size=2>> > >> > >> > >
---------------------~-->> Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500
titles.> No Late Fees & Free Shipping.> Try Netflix for
FREE!> <A
href=""><FONT
size=2>http://us.click.yahoo.com/JYdFFC/XP.FAA/ySSFAA/GHeqlB/TM<FONT
size=2>>