[amibroker] Re: Q from Holygrail Board

Hi Tomasz,

Thank you for your prompt reply and kind explanation.

The PositionSize for MSFT that day = -2* 28.43 / (2*1.139)=-24.96

I would rather prefer to use:

PositionSize = -2 * 1-(2*ATR(10)); -4.278

to achieve that goal of 2% adjusted. So I get now in AA information:

04-Sep-03 MSFT 28.43*11.03=313.58

That means about 3% of current equity of 10,000 (no margin as befor).

Now I have 10 open positions (worst rank held set to 10).

Again, many thanks.
Gedi

<amibroker@xxxx>
> > wrote:
> > > David,
> > >
> > > With the release 4.43 you can do that.
> > >
> > > PositionSize variable allows you to control the position sizing
on
> > PORFOLIO level.
> > > Negative values assigned to it specify the PERCENTAGE of
PORTFOLIO
> > equity to be invested.
> > >
> > > So for example, if you want to have no more than 5
simultaneously
> > positions open
> > > specify
> > > SetOption("MaxOpenPositions", 5 );
> > > PositionSize = -100/5; // 20% of PORFOLIO equity
> > >
> > > You may also adjust the position size depending on risk
> > (volatility) of given stock:
> > > PositionSize =  -2 * BuyPrice/(2*ATR(10));
> > >
> > > That way you are investing investing 2% of PORTFOLIO equity in
the
> > trade adjusted
> > > by BuyPrice/2*ATR factor (the higher volatility the less part
of
> > portfolio funds you would put into trade)
> > >
> > > As for second part of your question, you can also use ranking
> > criteria to specify which trades
> > > are preferred if there are too many candidates than allowed
> > positons or available cash:
> > > An easy example from the read me:
> > >
> > > PositionScore = 100 - RSI();
> > >
> > > will tell backtester to prefer stocks with low RSI (high
position
> > score).
> > > AmiBroker would enter trades starting from trade of the highest
> > score until it reaches maximum open pos limit
> > > or no more cash is available.
> > >
> > > More info is provided in the read me file.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Tomasz Janeczko
> > > amibroker.com

I am
> > >   incorporating here with a (his) request for information about
> > >   AmiBroker's backtesting capabilities.  Any helpful responses
will
> > be
> > >   most appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Ward
> > >
> > >   Ward,
> > >
> > >   If you can, ask these knowledgeable people if there is a way
in
> > >   Amibroker to simulate position sizing.  The issue with
> > backtesting
> > >   is not generating the trades, it's knowing which trades to
take
> > and
> > >   how much money to put into each one.  Many trading systems
suffer
> > >   from a condition known as clustering, where many of the
trades
> > >   happen in just a few days.  These systems look great
> > statistically,
> > >   but trade unprofitably because most of the time you are not
> > trading
> > >   at all (no trades), and when you do get trades you get too
many
> > >   to take.  So, what would really be helpful is if you can
specify
> > >   equity positions in each trade, specify the limits of equity
in
> > all
> > >   positions (so it's realistic), and then define some "tie
breaker"
> > >   ranking criteria if there are too many trades to determine
which
> > >   ones you enter.  Anything you can find out relative to these
> > >   questions would be helpful.
> > >
> > >   Thanks,
> > >
> > >   David
> > >

> > >   ---