[amibroker] Re: Backtesting Issues

Thanks Dave.  I see what you mean.  However if I am to set profit
and stop loss targets with Applystop, how do I implement the Sell
command since the Backtester won't let me run a scan without it.

I did run the scan through with a dummy Sell signal and still got
incorrect numbers for sell prices.  I've tried rewording the code
and running it through a simple Explore and it seems to work fine.

Here's the latest formula.  Maybe someone can run it through a
backtest themselves to see where I'm wrong.  The person who soles
this will have my everlasting gratitude!!!

*******************************
SetTradeDelays(0,0,0,0);

SetOption("ActivateStopsImmediately",1);

SetOption("AllowSameBarExit",1);

BuySig = One AND two AND three AND four AND five AND six AND seven
AND eight AND nine AND ten;

Buy = Ref (buysig, -1) AND High > ( Ref (High, -2) + 0.03 ) ;

BuyPrice = ValueWhen (BuySig, Ref (High, -1) + 0.03 ) ;
// might also need alternative BuyPrice if the Low of the Day is
greater than the High,-2

StopLoss = ValueWhen( BuySig, Ref( Low, -2 ) - 0.01 );  //Low of
three days before buy minus 0.01

ApplyStop (stopTypeLoss, stopModePoint, StopLoss, True,
True); //Stop loss based on low of 3 days prior to stock purchase

ApplyStop (stopTypeProfit, stopModePercent, 6, True) ; //Profit
target of 6% activated immediately

Sell = RSI (9) > 500;

TIA,
Chris

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dave Merrill" <dmerrill@xxxx>
wrote:
> I think you're misunderstanding ApplyStop. simply calling
ApplyStop puts a
> rule in place that the backtester will use from there on out. it
doesn't
> return a value that you later have to manually exit with, using
a 'sell =
> something' statement like you have.
>
> all you need is
>
>     ApplyStop([parameters])
>
> that's it.
>
> dave
>   I'm in need of some help with a backtest here.  I'm able to get
my
>   profit stops to kick in no problem, but for some reason my stop
loss
>   doesn't work properly- the results are all over the map!
>
>   Graham has been helping me a lot with this the past week (thanks
>   bud!) but I'm starting to feel bad about taking up so much of his
>   time and no matter how much I tinker with this, it won't work.
>
>   Here's my code with all my buy criteria (one through ten) not
>   included as they're really not relevant anyway)
>

>   ***************************************
>   SetTradeDelays(0,0,0,0);
>
>   SetOption("ActivateStopsImmediately",1);
>
>   SetOption("AllowSameBarExit",1);
>
>   BuySig = One AND two AND three AND four AND five AND six AND
seven
>   AND eight AND nine AND ten;
>
>   Buy = Ref (buysig, -1) AND High > ( Ref (High, -2) + 0.03 ) ;
>
>   BuyPrice = ValueWhen (BuySig, Ref (High, -1) + 0.03 ) ;
>   // might also need alternative BuyPrice if the Low of the Day is
>   greater than the High,-2
>
>   StopLoss = ValueWhen( BuySig, Ref( Low, -2 ) - 0.01 );  //Low of
>   three days before buy minus 0.01  I THINK THIS IS WHERE THE
PROBLEM

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511