Re: [amibroker] Quote Editor

Yuki,

> TJ> I understand that you want different behaviour but please accept the fact
> TJ> that you are requesting: change to the software that is not
> TJ> 'in-line' with Microsoft guidelines
> TJ> and you are the only person who wants that so you probably understand
> TJ> that I will not throw away all the things I am doing just to "fix" this because
> TJ> it is neither an urgent bug nor any other issue that should be addressed immediatelly.
> TJ> Just the opposite: this behaviour is STANDARD in Windows and I need some more arguments
> TJ> to change the STANDARD to non-standard behaviour (as not conforming to standards
> TJ> leads to confusion of users who know and like the standards)
>
> But please think about this.  Why have a QE function at all?  To copy
> data from a newspaper?  I think not.  Almost always, it will be to
> copy data from a screen source.  And I am not the only one who has
> problems with this.  It is also a pain the way the "save" routine
> works, and others have mentioned it.

The original intention of QE was to allow the user to manually fix
a couple of bars and to allow to add artificial quote for the future
if she/he wanted to see how given indicator would behave.

> As I'm sure you know, the Downloader, a separate program from
> Metastock, can be sized and placed right on top of a trading screen.
> How about making the QE window like that?  Is this difficult?
> I have no idea.  If not, can you please do it?

You have almost answered your own question: the downloader is a separate program.
Exactly. And it behaves as separate program so you switch it by task bar.

Quote Editor in AmiBroker is integral part of AB and is implemented as dialog
within AB's main frame window. The same way every other windows applicaiton behaves.

You want me to make QE behaving like separate application: well it would be possible
if it is made separate from AB (or by implementing a 'hack' to standard behaviour of Windows).
Although possible I am a little bit reluctant to do so because of breaking standards.

> If it presents a serious
> problem, please let us know so we can stop bothering you about it.
> Microsoft knows NOTHING about TA programs.  Citing their "standards"
> for window behavior means nothing.  No one cares much about
> Microsoft; they care about getting their work done.  That is all I
> care about -- getting my work done as easily as possible.  The QE
> window makes my work very hard to do.

Well you may ignore all that Microsoft had said about user interface but
standards in my private opinion are good. Could you imagine the mess when
every application got its "File" menu somewhere else ?

Please understand my point of view - every non-standard solution causes lots
of confusion -> support issues, etc.

What I think is that we should not be discussing QE but should be looking for some
Japanese data vendor that can be somehow interfaced with AB. Maybe via script or something.
I really belive that there must be a way to get your data without the need to make you
typing the quotes. Once done, you will forget about QE at all.

By the way eSignal recently added  Australian (ASX) and New Zealand RT quotes
as they promised more than year ago, so maybe support for Japan stock exchange is not that far.

Once again: really there must be some data vendor in Japan that will allow to interface
some 3rd party app. (I would investigate it myself if only I could read Japanese :-O)

Best regards,
Tomasz Janeczko
amibroker.com

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511