[amibroker] Re: Sector and industry analysis

Hi,

Traditionally, Relative Strength as a comparison between 2
investments (If an investment is outperforming the Index, its
relative strength would be greater)is used to compare an investment
price changes to the price changes of a broad index, namely the
S&P500 which is considered the yardstick, or standard for all
investments.

Pal
--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Anthony Faragasso" <ajf1111@xxxx>
wrote:
> Jayson,
>
> Thank you for your input....I am trying to confirm my own
explorations in AB to see if they match others using AB or match
other findings on different web sites. Doing my exploration, I get
the Information Sector as the leading Sector......whereas you have it
listed 2nd from the bottom....

> What is the purpose of the Universe / index Sector ? Couldn't you
just rank them as to which one is outperforming the others ?
Outperforming the S&P 500 ?

> Would you be willing to share your formula ?
>
> After you find the leading Sector , How do you find the leading
Industry in that Sector and then , How do you find the leading Stocks
in the Industry......I am trying to put this all together in
AB....but have been running into Roadblocks....probably my own
doing...:(

> TIA
> Anthony

not be exactly what is found on the larger sites who compare all
stocks in a given sector. Instead I filter my Universe of stocks to
around 700 based on min price, volume and institutional ownership. I
then create sector indexes with addtocomposite. From there I compare
the relative strength of each sector against the universe and measure
it using linregslope to watch for strength or weakness on a daily
basis. FWIW  here are my findings (short term, 7 days) as of the
close of business today. The graphic shows the current position of
each sector as well as its history for the last 9 days. The trend of
each sector can be very telling. Notice that while Internet has been
out performing the Universe for 17 days that it is showing signs of
weakness the last 3. This type of behavior is a red flag for me that
would encourage me to tighten stops in long positions and perhaps
look for bearish patterns for Shorting opportunities.

>   Regards,
>   Jayson

Service.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511