Re: [amibroker] Position Sizing, math, and profits

b,

Thanks for the post. I have to chime in here because, although I agree with
your overall treatise on money management, I believe you can achieve your desire
to increase profits without sacrificing risk simply by setting your stops based
on volatility (ATR). When you do this, you equalize all the stocks in your
portfolio, at least in the beginning, so that your profit and loss potential are
approximately equal across all stocks while your risk stays fixed at x% per
stock (set x to whatever you like or can tolerate). So, if Stock A has a high
volatility and Stock B a low one, you simply buy less of Stock A and more of
Stock B to compensate for the difference in volatility. Here's an example:
assuming your equity were $100 K for ease of calculations and taking your $100
stock (call it Stock A) as one you want to buy, if its ATR is, say, $3, your
risk tolerance is 1% of equity, and your stop based on your system is, say,
2*ATR below the buyprice, then you would buy 1000/2*3 or 167 shares ($16,666
commitment). Now, suppose you also want to buy Stock B, whose price is $50 and
ATR is 1. You would buy 1000/2*1 or 500 shares, commiting $25,000 of equity.
Notice that you commit more equity to the lower volatility stock (its ATR is 2%
of the price vs. the higher volatility stock whose ATR is 3% of the price). Now
you have 2 stocks in your portfolio that will have approximately the same profit
and loss potential based on price movement because you have equalized your
trades based on their volatility. This, to me, makes a lot more sense than
basing your max stoploss on a fixed dollar amount based on a trend line or
something like that.

Now, I have a question for you. What do you mean when you say you buy a
basket of stocks rather than individual stocks? Do you mean indices or industry
groups like biotech, semiconductors, etc.? If so, then you can treat those
indices just like stocks and use position sizing as above, based on ATR. If you
mean mutual funds, you cannot calculate ATR since you need OHLC data. But you
can calculate standard deviation of NAV over the last x days to give you an
estimate of volatility, which could serve very well as a substitute for ATR. If
by basket you mean something else, please help me understand what you mean. I
ask because I cannot envision why you cannot use position sizing for any type of
trading system.

Thanks for the interesting discussion.

Al Venosa
<BLOCKQUOTE