[amibroker] Re: using %b and Bollinger's Method II

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "john gibb" <jgibb1@xxxx> wrote:
> see below

Any service.  I need very accurate data for performing technical
analysis.  I can't afford to have inaccurate data.

>   This seems a good idea. Have you tried Bollinger's approach of
putting Bollinger Bands around indicators and letting upper(lower)
band tags indicate overbought(oversold)? The process being:

>       a) calculate (and plot) the indicator
>       b) calculate and plot BBands around it
>       c) calculate %b via:
>           (indicator - indicator_lower_band) /
(indicator_upper_band - indicator_lower_band)
>       d) plot the new %b as a normalized version of the indicator

The method described above is too cumbersome.  You may have to
calculate several moving averages (from 2 to 20) and then perform the
above procedure.  You may find that at some point of time, one of the
moving average based bands or several of them will be at the extremes
(+2/-2).  But why go to all that trouble?  Just Stochasticize it.  It
is a great indicator.

>   I am wondering how that compares to 'stochasticizing' indicators
like I am gueesing you do like the following, where XXX is any
indicator:

>       (XXX_current - XXX_lowest_in_period) /
(XXX_highest_in_period - XXX_lowest_in_period)

Yes.  But seems to work well only for high periods of the indicators
(like 25, 50, 200 etc.,)

>   I think Amibroker's Optimization capability will help with this,
though I am just starting to use it, so I am not sure if I look first
for stocks to optimize or optimize first in order to select stocks.

I do not analyze stocks.  I analyze futures stock indices using the 4
step procedure I described before.  When the index moves, most
probably all the stocks in the index would follow it...

>   >
  RSI is tricky in that the O/B and O/S
>   levels I use is ranging from 70/75/90 and 30/25/10 depending on
the period used in the RSI.  Stochastics 20/80 and Z-
>   Scores +2/-2, same as 100/0 atleast initially to detect the
signal...

>   For BandWidth I use just one period namely 20 bars, but lately I
>   found out that 50 is better because of something to do with 50
being
>   a better sample size than 20 to approximate a normal (gaussian)
>   distribution and so I am going to modify it.

I found that when I use 50 period, the Z-scores are at the +/- 3
extremes, but BB bands are supposed to be +/-2 SD bands.  So I
reverted back to 20 periods.  I still use StochZ(50) and StochZ(200)
as check on the lower period (2-21) Z-Score signals...

>   I also use ATR(20) for
>   BandWidth calculation
>
>   I am not sure how you use ATR. Isn't BandWidth:
>
>       (upper Bollinger Band - lower Bollinger Band) /middle
Bollinger Band

I calculate upper ATR band and lower ATR band similar to Bollinger
Bands.

>   I think Bollinger might respond by advocating using %b of price
and then, for confirmation, %b of the indicator.

Too cumbersome, as I explained earlier.

>   In order to post attachments such as charts, assuming your email
program supports attachments, just send an email to amibroker@(or
reply to) an email with your file attached. (AFIK, you can't do this
thru the Yahoo site when you 'post' a message)

Thanks,

Pal

>   >   -john
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   >   --- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "john gibb" <jgibb1@xxxx>
wrote:
>   >   > Hi sloughbridge,
>   >   >
>   >   > I interpret Method II to be a trend continuation rather
than
>   trend
>   >   reversal (end-of-trend) system.
>   >   >
>   >   > I am using SAR for exits and the '%b<20 AND MFI<20' only
for
>   new
>   >   sell signals.
>   >   >
>   >   > But, since my results are not that great, I may take his
>   >   suggestion and use Method II merely as a setup for his
Squeeze
>   >   (Method I) system. (I also have this thought that %b should
be
>   >   qualified by the BandWidth; i.e., an %b of 80 when the bands
are
>   >   narrow doesn't seem as good a signal as %b of 80 when they
are
>   wide)
>   >   >
>   >   > -john
>   >   >
>   >   > PS: for those who don't have his book, here are the three
>   systems
>   >   he presents there:
>   >   >
>   >   > http://www.bollingeronbollingerbands.com/methods/main.php