  >From:
  palsanand

  To: <A title=amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  href="">amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 6:35
  PM
  Subject: [amibroker] Re: using %b and
  Bollinger's Method II

  Hi,I looked at %b and also have the code in AB but I didn't
  find it more useful than RSI, Stochastics and Z-Scores.

  does that mean you don't use
  Volume?

  One problem is what would you use as O/B, O/S levels?.

  Good question...have you, by
  chance, tried using %b on your indicators to determine O/B and O/S levels?
  (Chapter 21: 'Normalizing Indicators' in Bollinger on Bollinger
  Bands)

  The adaptive lookback method is so arbitrary to be useful.
  I do use the BandWidth to determine volatility for interpreting the
  signal.
<BLOCKQUOTE

  Do you lookback a certain
  number of bars to determine BandWidth extremes or is it on a stock-by-stock
  basis?
  In my view, any indicator which acts just on the "close" price is
  spurious except the Z-scores.

  Do you use the same period for your
  Z-scores as for the BandWidth period and what 'price' do you use?
  (with %b, i tried both Close and
  Average Price but didn't see much difference in results)
  Z-scores are an exception because they are grounded solidly on
  Statistics and is widely used in several different fields and proven to be
  useful...  I have stopped applying the RSI and Stoch on the "close"
  price either.
  I did not find %b and BB's Method II
  useful mainly because I have problems with any theory that contradicts the
  "Contrarian" theory.  As they say, practice without theory is
  impossible, and theory without practice is useless....

  i don't follow...Contrarian theory
  for me means do the opposite of the majority...<FONT face=Arial
  size=2>
  I agree with Bollinger in using the BandWidth to interpret the
  Volatility Breakout and Counter-trend pullback signals.  But
  sometimes, the Counter-trend pullback becomes a Breakout and the
  Breakout becomes a Counter-trend pullback.

  At least for his Method I
  (volatility breakout system), he warns of frequent headfakes, where a breakout
  occurs initially in the direction opposite of that which it eventually
  takes...is that what you are referring to?

  So, I use both stops and Limits based on Volatility.  Stops
  based on 3BSMA in the same old counter-trend territory to cut your losses
  short or to protect profits and stops based on Gann's Rule of Eights in
  the newly trending opposite territory to let your profits run.
  Limits are based on 6 bar Gann Swing points and will vary depending on
  volatility breakout or counter-trend pullback.
  it would be great to see a chart
  illustrating what you mean in the last paragraph...

  -john
  --- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "john gibb" <jgibb1@xxxx> wrote:> Hi
  sloughbridge,> > I interpret Method II to be a trend
  continuation rather than trend reversal (end-of-trend) system.>
  > I am using SAR for exits and the '%b<20 AND MFI<20' only for
  new sell signals.> > But, since my results are not that
  great, I may take his suggestion and use Method II merely as a setup for
  his Squeeze (Method I) system. (I also have this thought that %b should be
  qualified by the BandWidth; i.e., an %b of 80 when the bands are
  narrow doesn't seem as good a signal as %b of 80 when they are
  wide)> > -john> > PS: for those who don't have his
  book, here are the three systems he presents there:> > <A
  href="">http://www.bollingeronbollingerbands.com/methods/main.php>
  <A
  href="">http://www.bollingeronbollingerbands.com/methods/main.php?method=2>
  <A
  href="">http://www.bollingeronbollingerbands.com/methods/main.php?method=3
  sloughbridge >   To: amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  >   Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 1:28
  AM>   Subject: [amibroker] Re: using %b and Bollinger's
  Method II> > >   --- In
  amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "john gibb" <jgibb1@xxxx>
  wrote:>   > Hi,>   >
  >   > I am using 'regular' %b with Money Flow Index in
  order to >   replicate, with EOD data, Bollinger's Method II
  (trend following) >   system from his book Bollinger on
  Bollinger Bands. (Both %b and MFI >   have to be above 80
  for a buy and below 20 for a sell.)> >   > Also,
  has anyone else used Bollinger's Method II? So far, my >
  results are mediocre at best.> >   Well, he also talks
  about other end-of-trend indicators, and Method >   II
  followed lots of discussion of topping patterns.  And he talked a
  >   lot about Parametric SAR for an exit with Method
  II.  I think that a >   lot can be lost if no sign
  of end-of-trend is detected until %b<20 >   and
  MFI<20, but it would definitely give a trending stock plenty of
  >   room to run :)> > > >
  >         Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

  ADVERTISEMENT>

  >        >